No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Melinda Taylor lashes out at Libya and ICC

byGeorge Grant
May 24, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Melinda Taylor lashes out at Libya and ICC

Melinda Taylor (right), upon her release from detention in Zintan on 2 July 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

By Chris Stephen.

Melinda Taylor (right), upon her release from detention in Zintan on 2 July 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

Benghazi, 16 December 2012:

Melinda Taylor, the Australian lawyer detained in Zintan this summer accused of passing secret documents to Saif . . .[restrict]Al-Islam Qaddafi, has launched a scathing attack on judges of the International Criminal Court for failing to admonish Libya.

She told The Australian newspaper that the failure of the Hague court to criticise Libya has given Tripoli a “green light” to flout the rules.

And she said it has left the impression that a “behind the scenes” deal has been agreed between the court and Libya over Saif’s fate.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Her outburst comes with Hague judges due to announce whether they will accept Libya’s request to hold Saif’s trial in Tripoli.

Taylor was detained with three other ICC officers by Zintan authorities in June after they accused her of trying to pass documents to Saif that were not part of her legal brief.

As a result, she was held for 26 days in Zintan, with former prime minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib declaring that the documents “compromise the national security of Libya.”

Her attack creates yet another twist to the most controversial saga in the court’s ten-year history.

Saif Al-Islam was indicted for war crimes and crimes against humanity by the ICC last year, along with his father, Muammar, and Libya’s former intelligence chief Abdullah Al-Senussi.

Saif was captured last November, and Senussi earlier this year in Mauritania, and has been held ever since in Zintan.

Since then, he has become part of a three-cornered battle between Zintan, the Tripoli authorities, and the ICC.

On three occasions, Libyan justice officials have pledged to hold the trial of Saif but no trial has yet transpired.

Also unclear is whether Zintan will release him to the custody of the government.

The wrangle between the court and Tripoli has meanwhile taken several bizarre turns: on the first visit of court officials to see him in Zintan, court documents say only female ICC officers were allowed to meet Saif.

Those documents also claim that ICC officers were told by a Libyan law officer that Saif was not being investigated for war crimes, but for “alleged failure to have licenses for two camels, and the cleaning of fish farms.”

For the outside world, the allegations remain a mystery, with neither Taylor, the ICC or Libya making public the documents she allegedly had with her.

Also unclear to many is Taylor’s role. Saif has apparently not chosen a lawyer, which would mean her role is to represent the defence interests of the case on the part of the ICC, a narrower brief than if she were his attorney. Were she to become his lawyer, questions would be asked about whether the ICC gave Saif a full choice of attorneys, as it is mandated to do.

What is clear is that the judges face a highly charged decision.

If they rule that Libya has the ability to hold a fair trial, and the trials of Saif and Senussi are less than fair, the Hague judges will have some explaining to do.

If they decide Libya cannot hold a fair trial and refuse the formal challenge, and Tripoli goes ahead with a trial anyway, the ICC will face a severe loss of credibility.

A joint trial is not really an option: Libya could call on international help for any war crimes trial, but in the end a court must have one master.

The Hague itself would help its own credibility if it explained what truth if any there is in allegations that Taylor acted improperly, making the evidence public with a full inquiry. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMelinda Taylor

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Work to begin on new passenger terminals at Benghazi and Misrata airports

Work to begin on new passenger terminals at Benghazi and Misrata airports

Update II: Security forces arrest man in connection with Benghazi killings, four policemen killed in failed release attempt

Update II: Security forces arrest man in connection with Benghazi killings, four policemen killed in failed release attempt

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.