No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian Consulate-General in Benghazi temporarily closed

byMichel Cousins
January 18, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian Consulate-General in Benghazi temporarily closed

Guido di Sanctis

. . .[restrict]Support for Italy in Benghazi

Tripoli, 16 January 2013:

Following the attack on the Italian Consul-General in Benghazi, Guido de Sanctis, on Saturday, the Italian authorities have temporarily shut the Consulate-General but say they hope to have it open again as soon as possible.

“We plan to reopen it as soon as we possibly can and are absolutely confident the Libyan authorities will increase security for our consulate-general and staff”, Italian Ambassador Guiseppe Buccino Grimaldi said today, Wednesday.

Some dozen staff work at the consulate, including three full-time Italian diplomats in addition to the Consul-General. It is the only EU consulate in Benghazi, apart from the Maltese, and the only from a NATO member other than Turkey.

Neither Malta nor Turkey are seen as a potential targets for militants.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Until Saturday’s attack, about 30 percent of Libyan applications for Italian visas were being made in Benghazi. The closure will mean that people there, will for the time being have to apply for visas to Tripoli.

Guido de Sanctis himself was already planning to leave, having been appointed some weeks ago as Italy’s new ambassador in Doha.

“In recognition of the excellent work he has done in Libya — he was the first Western diplomat to go to Benghazi in March 2011 and fostered what became an excellent relationship with the local authorities and local people — he has been appointed Italian ambassador to Qatar”, Buccino Grimaldi said.

“Given the importance Italy attaches to Libya and to the Consulate-General in Benghazi, another prominent diplomat has been appointed and will be in Libya soon”, he added.

As almost the sole Western diplomat in Benghazi and one who had been there since nearly the start of the revolution, de Sanctis made something of a name for himself in the city, aided in no small way by his somewhat unorthodox first-time arrival there — in a rubber boat. It gave him the image of a diplomat-adventurer.

Posters in Benghazi proclaim that “Guido di Sanctis loves Benghazi and it loves him”

The affection for him was on show yesterday, Tuesday, when dozens of local residents gathered outside the Consulate-General to protest at the attack. Apologies to him personally were on several of the placards carried by demonstrators — who also called on the government to take tough action to ensure there was security and stability in the city.

There have been reports in the wake of the attack on de Sanctis that the Libyan government has decided to set up a special diplomatic protection force.  However, this is not seen as imminent by diplomats in Tripoli.  “It’s a good idea”, said one, “but it had been suggested before. So far it’s just a idea being floating around.”

Meanwhile, the three Italian staff working in Benghazi are expected to be briefly redeployed to Tripoli to help cope with the anticipated extra workload there.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Benghazide sanctisfeaturedItalyLibyaterrorism

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Oilfield security under review after Algerian attack

Oilfield security under review after Algerian attack

Saudi Arabia donates thousands of copies of the Koran to Libya

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.