Tripoli, 18 January 2013:
Two armed Libyans were arrested in Tunisia last night, Thursday, after they crossed the border and shot at . . .[restrict]a Tunisian security post at Jedelouine some 40 kilometres south of the main crossing at Ras Jedir.
According to a security source in Medenine, the two Libyans were in a 4X4 vehicle and dressed in military uniform. This initially made the Tunisians think they were defence forces.
However, they opened fire on the post with automatics weapons. The Tunisians responded and managed to capture the two.
Meanwhile, it has been announced by the Tunisian authorities that a large quantity of weaponry was seized last night in Medenine. The haul is reported to have included bombs, missiles, grenades and other explosives as well as missile and rocket launchers, military uniforms, bullet-proof vests and communication equipment.
It is not known if the two incidents are related.
Earlier this week, the Tunisian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Rafik Abdul-Salam, said that there was growing tension near the Libyan border because of smuggling activities. His remarks followed the death on Monday of a Tunisian man near the Libyan border, reportedly by unknown Libyan armed group.
The minister said the incident was worrying and unacceptable and hoped its would not affect relations between the two countries.
The victim, a resident of the border town of Ben Guerdane, together with one of his relatives who was injured in the incident were reportedly chased by Libyan gunmen in a car.