No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Breakthrough housing deal agreed by Government and Chinese company

byMichel Cousins
December 28, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Breakthrough housing deal agreed by Government and Chinese company

Libya and China sign the agreement today

By Ayman Amzein.

Zhang Zuohe,  of general manager of CSCEC (left) and Mahmoud Bashir Ajaj, head of the project implementation unit sign the agreement today

Benghazi, 12 May 2013:

The Ministry of Housing and the Beijing-based China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC) signed an agreement . . .[restrict]in Benghazi today to resume work on 20,000 housing units in the city. The buildings are in the Gwarsha and Khadra districts.

Work stopped at the beginning of the revolution but since then efforts by both sides to get it restarted have been stymied by arguments over compensation and increased costs in the intervening period.

“We have reached agreement with the Chinese company to reactivate the project,” said the Housing and Utilities Minister, Ali Sharif. “We need to complete this project to resolve the desperate housing crisis,” he stated. The company, he said, had agreed to deliver the first 1,500 units as soon as possible.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba reviews national house-building programme – with CBL financing initiative

CBL workshop on ‎”The Role of the Banking Sector in Revitalising Stalled Housing Projects and Urban Development”‎ to be held in Tripoli on 13 July

He called the deal a “second profitable chance” for CSCEC.

As to the matter of compensation, he indicated that this has been done by giving the company an additional contract. “We have reached an agreement by which the same Chinese company that started the project would be allowed to carry out the infrastructure for the project, provided that such an agreement helps accelerate implementation of the project.”

The agreement came after a series of multi-party negotiations between Benghazi Local Council, the Chinese company and the Ministry of Housing and Utilities in order to find a formula to to resolve the obstacle of compensation being asked by CSCEC and  ensure its return to work.

The meeting was attended by the Deputy Prime Minister, Awad Barassi, Housing Minister Ali Sharif, the Leader of Benghazi Local Council, Mahmoud Abu Raziza, and his deputy, Ahmed Buzribe, as well as CSCEC General Manager Zhang Zuohe and Chinese Ambassador to Libya, Wang Wangsheng.

Also there were the Chairman of the council’s Housing and Utilities Committee, Mustafa Sheikhi, Planning Committee Chairman Awad Subaihi, the housing units’ project manager, Rafi Sharif Qitrani, and the head of its implementation unit, Mahmoud Bashir Ajaj.

The deal, in which the thorny issue of compensation is addressed by granting additional contracts, is seen as opening the door to completing numerous other housing and infrastructure projects with Chinese and foreign companies. [/restrict]

Tags: ChinafeaturedhousingLibya

Related Posts

High-level Libyan government delegation arrives in Guinea to regain ownership of illegally confiscated investment assets
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

August 29, 2025
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

August 28, 2025
Libya and Shell discuss several areas of cooperation
Business

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

August 28, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Business

Aldabaiba-British Ambassador discussions include resumption of British Airways Libya flights and creating attractive Libyan investment environment for foreign companies

August 28, 2025
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

August 27, 2025
The International Forum & Exhibition for Free Zones – Misrata: 28 to 29 June at Misrata Free Zone
Business

Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Zeidan praises Qatar

Malta Enterprise leads 13 companies at Libya Build 2013

Malta Enterprise leads 13 companies at Libya Build 2013

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.