By Ahmed Elumami, Ahmed Ruhayem and Ayman Amzain
Tripoli and Benghazi 14 May 2013
A badly reproduced photograph of a list posted on . . .[restrict]social networks, appears to have given rise to the widespread rumour that more people perished in Monday’s Benghazi bombing, than the three deaths and 14 injuries announced by the government.
The photograph lists 14 names but seems to have been cropped in some postings. This led other users to believe that these were the names of the dead, when in fact, the missing section makes clear that they are of those injured.
The Libya Herald spoke today to Dr Mohamed Beleid, manager of the Al-Jalaa hospital, outside which the explosion happened. He confirmed that the exact number of blast casualities was three killed and 14 wounded. Two wounded were still hospitalised and the other 12 injured had been discharged.
He added that the injuries ranged from fractures to wounds and burns. The emergency staff had dealt quickly with the victims.
” We were able to give treatment to everyone and there was no shortage in the medical supplies or staff, as has been published in some media resources” Dr Beleid said.
Another doctor at the hospital told the Libya Herald that two of the dead were in the car where the blast occurred and the other victim was a young boy out buying bread.
The explosion appeared to have occurred on the public highway, close to the hospital wall. The detonation left a small circular hollow in the road surface, between 30 to 40 centimetres wide and 15 centimetres at its deepest. The engine of the vehicle, which witnesses claimed was a grey Mazda, was lying some 30 metres from the seat of the blast. Six other cars were damaged in the explosion.
Hundreds of Benghazi citizens, including some Congress members, Interior Minister Ashour Shuail and other ministers today attended the victims’ funerals. Meanwhile in Tripoli’s Algeria Square, mourners paid tribute to the Benghazi victims after Asr Prayer.
After the Benghazi funerals, protestors demanded the firing of the Chief-of-Staff Yousef Mangoush. They asserted that he was unable to enhance security in Benghazi particularly, and across Libya generally, and was incapable of rebuilding the Libyan army.