No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian embassy car bombed; no one hurt

byMichel Cousins
June 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian embassy car bombed; no one hurt

Italian embassy vehicle bombed in Tripoli

By Michel Cousins and Umar Khan.

Italian embassy vehicle bombed in Tripoli (Photo: Umar Khan)

Tripoli, 11 June 2013:

A bomb attatched to an Italian embassy car blew up near the embassy . . .[restrict]in the city’s Zawiat Al-Dahmani district this afternoon, destroying the vehicle. No one was hurt thanks to the vigilance of the embassy driver.

“The diver noticed that there was a pipe sticking out of the back of the vehicle”, an embassy official told the Libya Herald. He and a diplomat who was travelling in the vehicle got out, leaving the car in 17 February Street and headed to the embassy. The embassy alerted the police who had secured the area, when twenty minutes later,  at around 4.30pm there was an explosion.

“It was not a great explosion, said the official, “probably a gelatina bomb, but it destroyed the back of the car. If anyone had been in the vehicle at the time, they could have been killed.”

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Business Council hosts delegation of Italian Embassy to discuss preparations for Libyan-Italian Forum‎

More security officials were quickly on site, looking for evidence and the road was blocked off. However, three men then arrived, one of whom proceeded to attack the vehicle with a butchers’ blade, shouting “fitna” (that which causes chaos and dissension within the community) and “destroy them”.  He appeared to be enraged that a car bomb had exploded in his area. He was pulled off by security men.

It is unclear who was behind the attack or if the hope was that the bomb would go off inside the embassy grounds.  Nor is the reason immediately apparent. Despite its colonial past in Libya, Italy is well regarded in Tripoli.

In January, though, the Italian Consul-General’s car in Benghazi was shot at as it left the Tibesti hotel.  The Consul-General, Guido de Sanctis, was in the vehicle at the time but was unhurt.  The attack led to the closure of the Benghazi mission.

More recently, on 23 April, a massive car bomb exploded outside the French embassy in the capital’s Hay Al-Andalous district, causing extensive damage and seriously wounding a French guard and a young Libyan woman who lived across the road.  There may also have been an attempt to car bomb the British Council building in the city the same day. [/restrict]

Tags: car bombfeaturedItalian embassyItalyLibyaterrorists

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Opinion: Libya is not rich…yet

Libya and Tunisia agree major oil and gas deal

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.