By Ahmed Elumami.
Tripoli, 8 October 2013:
The wife of Nazih Al-Ruqaii (alias Abu Anas Al-Libi), who was abducted by the US . . .[restrict]for alleged terrorism offences, appeared at today’s General National Congress (GNC) session to plead for help in securing her husband’s release.
Um Abdulrahaman said she considered that what had happened was a “kidnapping.” She demanded the GNC’s help in returning her husband at at the very least arranging a visit to see him as a matter of urgency.
She also asked Congress to help clear her husband’s name.
Ruqaii was grabbed early on Saturday morning in front of his house as he returned home from dawn prayers, either by American forces or Libyans operating on behalf of the Americans. He had been wanted by the US for 15 years on terrorism charges relating to the twin bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania which left over 220 people dead.
“Al-Libi’s wife confirmed that the people who took her husband were masked and that she was therefore unable to identify then,” Zawiya Congresswoman Naema Al-Hami told the Libya Herald. Hami added, however, that Um Abdulrahaman said she was able to identify the driver, who was not wearing a mask.
“I had already left when Al-Ruqaii’s wife entered the session hall,” Beida Congresswoman Zainab Haroun Al-Targi told this paper.
She said, however, that it was not usual for Congress to listen to such problems. If it were, Al-Targi said, the GNC would have met hundreds of wives of Libya’s martyred and missing – and the many others who have disappeared since the revolution. [/restrict]