By Ahmed Elumami.
Tripoli, 20 January 2014:
The Ajilat authorities, still smarting at the ease with which a gang last week forced its . . .[restrict]way into their headquarters and released an detained gang-member, are demanding greater support from central government.
The head of Ajilat local council, Kamal Ammar Zayed, told the Libya Herald that the government had ordered that Ajilat should have a 600-strong joint security room. However, said Zayed, a lack of resources meant that the force was only half strength, with 150 members from the Ajilat Security Directorate, which includes former members of the police and army, and the other 150, army soldiers from Tripoli.
Dismayed by the attack on their base by unidentified gunmen which freed the arrested man, the JSR unit’s commander Hussam Al-Tellesi was reported to have said that his force had withdrawn from duty, in protest at their lack of support from the Ministry of the Interior. There were no injuries in the assault on the JSR headquarters.
The town’s elders and shura council also reacted angrily to the appearance of three green flags of the former regime in the town on Saturday morning. Condemning it as a “criminal act”, Ajilat’s leaders said Libyan independence flags soon flew in their place. An enquiry is under way to try and identify who put up the green flags.