No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Tripoli and Benghazi LRT systems progress

bySami Zaptia
April 30, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Tripoli and Benghazi LRT systems progress

The second workshop on Tripoli & Benghazi's Metro/LRT systems was held yesterday in Tripoli (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

The second workshop on Tripoli & Benghazi's Metro/LRT systems was held yesterday in Tripoli (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
The second workshop on Tripoli & Benghazi’s planned Metro/LRT systems was held yesterday in Tripoli (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 30 April 2014:

Part two of the workshop “Strategic Planning for the City Metro (LRT) – A Modern Metro . . .[restrict]for the Public” was held yesterday at the Railways Project Execution and Management Board’s headquarters in Tripoli (www.railroads.org.ly), in cooperation with Zawia University’s Strategic Planning Unit.

The workshop was headed by Ali Rashaida, Chairman of the Railways Project Execution and Management Board, numerous members of the Railway Board, a representative of the Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Housing and Utilities, the Head of the LRT Project, a representative of the NOC, representatives of GECOL, Tripoli Local Council, Benghazi Local Council, the Urban Planning Department, the Information and Documentation Department, Benghazi University, the State Property Department and the Ministry of Agriculture.

During the 1st April part one of the workshop it was revealed that the Railway Board was now making an independent study of the various options that would provide the best cost and best service combination for Libya’s two main cities of Benghazi and Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

It was also revealed that the Railway Board had been given the green light by the GNC to present the results of this LRT study for urgent implementation in order to solve Tripoli and Benghazi’s pressing transport and traffic problems.

A model of one of the designs for a train/LRT station (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
A model of one of the designs for a train/LRT station (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

At yesterday’s workshop, Ali Rashaida, Chairman of the Railways Project Execution and Management Board said that “based on correct plans and strategies, the decision to go ahead has been taken by the GNC and we are in the process of implementing a modern and effective city LRT system”.

Mabruk Abugadera, Head of Strategic Planning at the University of Zawia said that ” we chose the metro because it is a vital project and one of the bottlenecks in the two cities transport systems.”

The lack of a clear strategic plan and vision for the utilization of the Railway Board has led to the dispersion of efforts and the inability to gain from the financial resources and human resources in the Railway Board. This has led to the delay in the implementation of the city LRT in Tripoli and Benghazi.

Therefore, strategic planning was adopted in order to put in place a strategic plan for the city LRT with the participation of all the various stakeholders, it was stressed in the introduction of the workshop.

A model of a train/LRT station design on display at the Rail Board's Tripoli HQ (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
A model of a train/LRT station design on display at the Rail Board’s Tripoli HQ (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Summarizing the work achieved during the first workshop, Abugadera said that the workshop must first help to set out the main aims, followed by conducting a status update on the projects. The main influencing factors on the LRT projects had to be considered as well as a review of all the available options. Based on this, he explained, the different strategies for going forward could be reviewed and the most optimal one could be selected. The strategy would be updatable.

The six aims and strategies were: Establishing an LRT network that was modern and economically viable that links all the vital sectors of the two cities; the linkage and compliment-ability  of the LRT network with other transport systems; increasing the culture of the use of public transport in Libya; the retraining of Libyan human resources and participation in the development of the cities; offering a high quality service and operating and maintaining the network with a high degree of effectiveness.

The Head of Strategic Planning was keen that all stakeholders present and those who were not able to attend the workshop are able to provide input into policies and strategy at the “formulation stage”. He considered stakeholders as the most influencing factors on the implementation of the LRT project, followed by management, the type of LRT system chosen, the overall transport strategy put in place by the Libyan authorities as well as their linkage with other transport systems and infrastructure.

With regards to choosing an underground system, an overland system, a suspended system or a mixed LRT system, this would influence the budget greatly, Abugadera explained. The choice would also affect implementation, logistics, timelines, inconvenience and stakeholders’ inputs.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziimplementationLRTmetroplanprojectRailway BoardstrategyTripoli

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post

Forsa mentoring programme boosts Libyan small businesses

Tomorrow 1st May "Labour Day" public holiday

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.