By Taher Zaroog.
Misrata, 20 May 2014:
The forces of Central Libya Shield have returned to their barracks in Misrata this evening after . . .[restrict]massing at the city’s Al-Dafniya gate earlier in the day, apparently in preparation for a move on Tripoli
The forces had said it is was their intention to secure the entrances to the capital and protect its institutions, following the attack two days ago on the General National Congress (GNC), and subsequent clashes in Tripoli. They had been asked to do so by Congress President Nuri Abu Sahmain.
It is not known why the Misratans changed their minds, although there was a great deal of hostility to the move in Tripoli.
It is reported, though, a limited number of members from the the brigade have left Misrata and begun to move towards Tripoli.
Misrata, which is aligned with Congress and against Zintan, has reacted strongly to the recent violence in both Tripoli and Benghazi. Misrata Local Council said in a statement that it rejected dictatorship under any name and expressed its deep sorrow at recent events in the country. It said it would not allow the February Revolution to be threatened and would recognise only a democratic Libyan government.
The local council has offered Misrata as the venue for a national dialogue conference, bringing together all Libyans, without exception, to find a way out of the current “darkened tunnel”.
The Misratan Union of the Families of Martyrs has condemned General Khalifa Hafter’s operation in Benghazi and Sunday’s attack on Congress in Tripoli calling them “acts committed by illegal armed groups who are working against the legitimacy of the state”. It said Hafter must face justice, because he had acted without the permission of the state and and attacked revolutionary groups. [/restrict]