By Jamal Adel.
Tripoli, 3 May 2014:
Elections for another two of the seats in the Constitutional Assembly, voting for which . . .[restrict]was abandoned during the 20 February elections, have been taking place today.
“The re-run of the Constitutional Assembly elections in Obari started this morning,” the local head High National Elections Commission, Salah Abu Ali Salah, told the Libya Herald. “They are proceeding smoothly and security conditions are very good,” he said.
Two seats are being contested – a general list one and one of the two reserved for the Tuareg minority. Eight polling centres are operating.
Polling on 20 February was stopped because of fears for the safety of HNEC workers after some polling stations were attacked. Attempts to re-run them six days later came to nothing because of no improvement in the security situation at the time.
Some of the Tuareg community, but not all, joined Tebus and the Amazigh in boycotting the February elections over the Consensus Principal, that at least two-thirds of the 60-member Constitutional Assembly including all six official Tebu, Tuareg and Amazigh members must agree the name of the Libyan state, its identity, flag, national anthem and languages.
The Amazigh continue the boycott the process but the Tebu National Assembly changed its mind last month and agreed to elect members to the constitutional body.
As a result, elections for three general list seats and one Tebu seat in Murzuk and the other reserved Tebu seat of Kufra were held last Saturday.