By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.
Tripoli, 26 July 2014:
Hundreds of protesters crowded into Tripoli’s Algeria Square late last night demanding an end to the . . .[restrict]fighting in the city between revolutionary groups backed by Misratan forces on the one side and Zintanis and their allies on the other. They also demanded that one of the organizers of the event, Abdulmoez Banun, who was seized in front of his home in the capital on Thursday, be freed.
The protest, which started at around 10pm and lasted until 1am, was located in Algeria Square because the headquarters of Tripoli Municipal Council is there. The protestors want the council to take action to stop the fighting.
According to Hashem Bishr, the former head of the now disbanded Supreme Security Committee, Banun was taken by men under the orders of Haithem Tajouri who, he said, were investigating him.
Condemning the arrest, he said that Banun had been taken specifically because he had organised the protest to end the fighting.
It has been reported that some revolutionaries were now trying to claim that because Banun was trying to stop the clashes he was pro-Zintani and against the 17 February Revolution.
There were conflicting reports this morning that he had been released but also one that he was about to make a “confession” on Wataniya TV today.
Neither report has been verified at present.