By Okaz staff.
Cairo, 27 August 2014:
Libya will ask the UN Security Council to complete its mission and extend support to the . . .[restrict]ongoing efforts aimed at restoring peace and stability in the country, Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz has said.
“We will ask the Council to help us restore order especially that Libya is still under Chapter 7 of the UN Charter,” he told the Saudi daily Okaz.
The Security Council is scheduled to meet today, August 27. Abdulaziz was attending the special conference held in Cairo on on Monday Tuesday by Libya’s neighbouring countries.
“The meeting of the Security Council has major significance for us. We will renew our request to the council to complete its mission in our country and help us restore law and order,” he said.
Abdulaziz meanwhile rejected allegations that the Arab League had so far provided insufficient support for the Libyan people.
“Had it not been for the quick and timely intervention by the Arab League, Libya would have witnessed savage massacres that might have killed more than a million people on the hands of forces of Qaddafi’s defunct regime,” he said.
It was the Arab League that called on the UN to institute a no-fly resolution at the beginning of the 2011 revolution.
Abdulaziz also dismissed accusations that the League was not doing anything its about the ongoing political situation in Libya. “The League is innocent of this accusation,” he said.
He reiterated that the new elected parliament was the only legitimate body in the country. “The new House of Representatives has received Arab, regional and international recognition,” he said. It had been accepted by the international public opinion as well as by the Libyan people themselves.
He described the claims by the former General National Congress NC that it had met and elected a new government as a fallacy.
“This former General National Congress has no legitimacy. Its mission ended terminated last February. It now just a phantom organisation,” he said.