By Libya Herald staff.
Tripoli, 29 August 2014:
The new UN Special Envoy has said he is to unveil a . . .[restrict]plan to foster meaningful dialogue in the country following a meeting with the outgoing Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni.
Speaking at the meeting yesterday the new envoy, Bernadino Leon, said he was soon to announce a six-point plan which would be the focus of reconciliation talks between warring factions. He said it was his hope that the talks would end in “security, stability and prosperity for the Libyan people”.
Caretaker Prime Minister Thinni, who announced his resignation today, said there could be no resolution to the current crisis through force of arms, explaining that only dialogue could resolve the violence. He aded that the will of the Libyan people could only be expressed through the country’s legitimate and democratic institutions.
Leon reiterated the international community’s commitment to Libya’s constitutional institutions adding that it was the goal of his mission to seek a comprehensive dialogue and reach consensus.
Earlier this week the UN envoy, who will also head the UN Support Mission in Libya, dismissed calls for international intervention. Leon said that Libya and neighbouring countries needed to to instigate an inclusive political processes to address the political crisis.
On Wednesday the UN Security Council extended UN sanctions placed on Libya to include anyone endangering Libya’s stability and democracy, squarely backing the House of Representatives and the Thinni government.
Just prior to the Security Council’s vote on the resolution, the outgoing Special Envoy Tarek Mitri urged the United Nations to “spare no effort” to bring the various actors to the dialogue table.