No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR asks Thinni to lead new thinned-down government

byMichel Cousins
July 25, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
HoR asks Thinni to lead new thinned-down government

By Farah Waleed.

rp_Al-Thinni.jpg
Abdullah Al-Thinni (file photo)

Benghazi, Monday 1 September 2014:

The House of Representatives, at its meeting in Tobruk today, asked acting Prime Minister Abdullah . . .[restrict]Al-Thinni to form a new government within two weeks. According to HoR spokesman Faraj Hashem, the government is to have between eight and ten cabinet ministers.

Thinni was the favourite among five contenders shortlisted by the HoR for the premiership. The interim government he led resigned on Friday to allow it to make a new appointment.

Hashem told the Libya Herald that although Thinni has been given two weeks to formally nominate his ministers, he had in fact already provided parliament with the names. However, Hashem would not disclose them.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Thinni has been caretaker prime minister since being asked by the former General National Congress on 11 March to take on the post temporarily after it sacked Ali Zeidan. It then reappointed him several times as caretaker because it was unable to gather sufficient votes to appoint a fulltime replacement to Zeidan. Under Congress rules, a minimum of 120 were needed.

On 6 May, however, it seemed that Congress had overcome the hurdle when it announced it had sacked Thinni and appointed Ahmed Maetig as prime minister by 121 votes. But the appointment was challenged on constitutional grounds and on 9 June was overturned by the Supreme Court on the grounds that the quorum had been unconstitutionally assembled because a number of those who voted had been turned up after proceedings had begun.

Today, Thinni – whose appointment is now officially permanent – was chosen by 64 out of the 106 members attending this morning’s session. It is just over half the number specified by Congress as being needed to appoint a prime minister. However, the HoR says that the 120-vote threshold no longer applies because last month it voted to itself presidential powers until such time as a president is elected. It says that with such powers, it can appoint a prime minister by a simple majority vote.

Compared to the 64 votes, just five were cast a week ago when the rival General National Congress “appointed” Omar Hassi as prime minister.

In a separate development, the outgoing government has said that it no longer has any control over ministries and government institutions based in Tripoli.  The declaration is unlikely to have any political impact, however, since it is a statement of the obvious. In any event, the ministries in Tripoli at present exercise no power in the country.[/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinnifeaturedHouse of RepresentativesLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
HoR summons Grand Mufti and Central Bank Governor for questioning

HoR summons Grand Mufti and Central Bank Governor for questioning

Fighting in south east Benghazi as Ansar renews Benina attacks

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.