No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU slams immediate formal ban on all flights by Libyan carriers

byNigel Ash
December 12, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Afriqiyah, one of seven named Libyan carriers banned from EU skies
Afriqiyah, one of seven named Libyan carriers banned from EU skies (File photo)

Tripoli, 11 December 2014:

The European Union has imposed an immediate blanket ban on all Libyan aircraft movements in EU . . .[restrict]airspace, on “safety grounds”. Since March 2012, the Libyan Civil Aviation Authority has itself been imposing a voluntary block on all Libyan carriers.

Violeta Bulc, EU commissioner for transport said today: “Recent events in Libya have led to a situation whereby the civil aviation authority is no longer able to fulfil its international obligations with regard to the safety of the Libyan aviation sector.”

At the core of the original problem was the parlous state of the record-keeping for flight deck and engineering personnel as well as aircraft themselves, even though both Afriqiyah Airways and Libyan Airlines had embarked upon major fleet upgrades.

RELATED POSTS

Transport Minister Shahoubi stresses adherence to ICAO recommendations and raising Mitiga’s operational performance‎

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

The EU Air Safety Committee did not impose a ban. Rather it agreed to the Libyan Civil Aviation Authority voluntarily halting EU-bound flights of Libyan registered aircraft. It was expected that the suspension would give the LCAA time to get its documentary and regulatory house in order. In the event, the LCAA has struggled to make progress on the task. Despite optimistic statements, it seemed that it was still a long way off convincing the Europeans that it was a reliable regulator.

Yet an aviation source told the Libya Herald this evening that the EU ban was now about security rather than safety due to poor regulatory oversight. “This is not technical move. It is political. It came from the EU transport commissioner, not some bureaucrat.” Brussels had been spooked by the presence of ISIS camps in Libya and the UN Security Council’s  sanctioning  of Ansar Al-Sharia as an Al-Qaeda affiliate.  “What is worrying some people is the allegation that airliners were grabbed by terrorists and could be used as flying bombs”.

The source went on to say that he did not believe that any flyable aircraft were unaccounted for. He did however suspect that the EU-airspace ban on Libyan carriers could well be expanded to any flight originating from a Libyan airport. This, he said, would play to the particular strength of Turkish Airlines and Tunis Air, which would see Istanbul and Tunis become crucial hubs for any onward travel to EU airspace.

The EU bans specifically mentions Afriqiyah Airways, Libyan Airlines, Buraq Air,  Ghadames Air Transport,  Air Libya,  Global Aviation and Services and Petro Air. But the wording makes clear that any Libyan registered aircraft is covered.

Soon after its planes were banned from European skies, Afriqiyah Airways pioneered a work-around by wet-leasing aircraft and crews from carriers in a range of countries including Moldova, Spain and Tunisia. This highly expensive option was replaced when the airline began the re-registration  in Ireland of three of its new Airbuses. Owned and operated by an Irish company, the planes were still branded Afriqiyah and began services between Tripoli and London Gatwick, Paris Dusseldorf and Rome.  An earnest of the optimism the airline felt was that just weeks before Tripoli international Airport was destroyed, Afriqiyah opened its own dedicated check-in area in the terminal building.

This newspaper understands however that this Monday, Afriqiyah management called in the staff at all its European stations and warned them that there would be extensive redundancies, because the stations were all likely to close. The meetings led to despairing Tweets from airline staff.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: AfriqiyahEUfeaturedflight bangatwickLibyaLibyan airlines

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Gas shortages and damaged equipment cause blackouts in Tripoli and Benghazi

Gas shortages and damaged equipment cause blackouts in Tripoli and Benghazi

Benghazi passport office to reopen Sunday

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.