By Libya Herald staff.
Tripoli, 31 March 2015:
Zawia Municipal Council has closed the University of Zawia and local schools for three days . . .[restrict]because of what it says are concerns for the safety of students following random rocket attacks on the town.
On Sunday, a Filipino oil worker was killed and three of his colleagues wounded when a missile hit the car they were travelling in. One of the wounded is said to be in critical condition. It is reported that a Libyan and a Sudanese, travelling in separate vehicles, were also injured in the blast.
Pro-Libya Dawn media have blamed Warshefana fighters, which it refers to as the “Army of the Tribes” for this and other rocket attacks. Following Sunday’s incident, there were protests in the town’s Martyrs’ Square with calls for a jihad against the Warshefana.
The closure announcement was made last night. However, one teacher said that even before it was made, Libya Dawn fighters were going to schools and ordering them to close. Another Zawia man said that Libya Dawn supporters were extremely nervous following Sunday’s attack.
He denied reports that there had been clashes in Zawia in the past few days between pro and anti-Libya Dawn groups and that this was the real reason for the concerns about students’ safety. He also denied reports that cafés and shops, other than food stores and pharmacies, had been closed by the town’s Islamist Farouk Brigade. However, he said that it was increasingly difficult to buy bread in Zawia and that prices of other goods had risen. [/restrict]