By Libya Herald staff.
Tripoli, 7 May 2015:
No decision was made at Tuesday’s session of the General National Congress (GNC) to suspend . . .[restrict]participation in the UNSMIL-sponsored dialogue, despite reports of a formal request being presented by some GNC members.
Muhamed Emazab, a member of the GNC delegation to the talks, had told Buwabat Al-Wasat that he had been informed of a request to suspend participation, but that it did not come up in Tuesday’s session.
It has been reported that 52 members signed the petition, asking that the GNC refuse to continue participation until UNSMIL replaces Bernardino Leon, who they claimed was driving the country towards civil war with his policies and what they called his “arrogant” leadership of the talks.
Last week Libya Dawn also demanded that Leon be fired.
Emazab, for his part, also said that he believed the GNC might offer some alternate proposal for a solution to the crisis in Libya. He did not elaborate, when asked, nor did he know when the next round of talks in Skhirat, Morocco, might be.
However, Khalifa Ghwell, the GNC-appointed Prime Minister, has recently expressed his support for the dialogue endeavors.
Fadeel Amin, Chairman of the Preparatory Commission for National Dialogue, in an interview yesterday with Buwabat, said that those who hostile to the dialogue were not serving their country. He added that some were trying to thwart it because they gained from the country remaining in chaos. [/restrict]