By Rahman Jahangir.
Dhaka, 25 July 2015:
The chargé d’affaires at the Libyan embassy in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka has accused his . . .[restrict]predecessor hiring a group of Bangladeshis to break into the building and to take it over.
Khaled Mohamed Abu Said has alleged that the former head of mission, Mahmoud Salabi, last week hired 50 men who then broke into the building and attacked staff.
Speaking to reporters today, he said that said an investigation team from the Bangladeshi Foreign Ministry would visit the embassy to talk to officials on the matter. He also called on the Bangladeshi authorities to have nothing to do with Salabi, who he claimed had been sacked by the Libyan government for corruption.
“It’s fervently requested to the all authorities concerned not to work or keep any contact with this person,” he told reporters at a press conference at the National Press Club in Dhaka.
On the matter of Bangladeshi workers in Libya, the chargé said that Libya still needed them even though none had official been sent since last December. He promised that he would try his best to facilitate visas for Bangladeshis with jobs in Libya.
On July 14, the government in Dhaka strongly advised Bangladeshi nationals, including migrant workers, to avoid going to Libya in view of the deteriorating security situation in the country.
The Bangladesh embassy has suspended its operations in Tripoli and relocated its staff to Tunisia.
There have been intermittent but regular allegations of officials at the Libyan embassy in Dhaka being involved in selling fake work visas to Bangladeshis. [/restrict]