No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS seizes Sirte’s District No 3, executes locals, burns local medical centre: report

byMichel Cousins
August 14, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
IS seizes Sirte’s District No 3, executes locals, burns local medical centre: report

Crucifixion Sirte

By Aiman Mufta, Adam Ali and Ajnadin Mustafa.

Crucifixion Sirte
Alleged anti-IS fighter “crucified” (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi/Tripoli, 14 August 2015:

Islamic State (IS) forces have taken Sirte Residential District . . .[restrict]No. 3 today, Friday, and started executing young men in the area, mainly members of the Farjan tribe, according to sources in the town. Confirming the reports, a source at Ibn Sina hospital said that bodies, of women as well as men, shot in the head, execution style, had arrived there. Photos of others, “crucified” by IS have been circulating on social media. Other reports speak of 12 decapitated bodies being found near a school in No. 3 district.

There are also unconfirmed reports of the a medical centre in the district which was treating some of the wounded in the fighting being attacked and set on fire by IS.

The sources in Sirte claims that in the three days of fighting as many as between 100 and 160 people in District No. 3 died in the clashes, most of them members of the Farjan tribe. Others put the figure at 70.  To escape the fighting, residents in the town are also said to have been fleeing, some reportedly toward Bani Walid.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

One source has said that the IS have threatened to demolish the homes in District No. 3 of Farjan members. It is also reported that the Cordoba Mosque in the district has been taken over by IS and renamed “Masjid Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi” after the Jordanian militant who was leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq from 2004 until he was killed in a targeted US air raid in 2006. The mosque was central to the outbreak of this week’s fighting. The uprising was sparked by the murder on Tuesday by IS of its Salfist imam, Khalid bin Rajab Ferjani. He had refused to hand it over to IS.

District No. 3, with is large Farjani population, had been beyond IS’ control since the Islamists took the town.

For its part, the Libyan government has accused the international community of ignoring the killings in Sirte and of betraying Libya.

Abdullah Al-Thinni, whose resignation as prime minister on Tuesday appears to have evaporated, accused IS of genocide and called to the international community to help Libya to crush the organisation. He criticised the ban imposed by the Security Council on the supply of arms to Libya as being partly to blame.

It has been widely reported that those who were fighting IS in Sirte had nothing more than Kalshnikovs as weapons, while IS enjoyed the the use of massive heavy weaponry.

In a statement on the government’s Facebook page, Thinni said the international community had a moral responsibility for what had happened, accusing it of double standards – being prepared to fight IS in Iraq and Syria, but turning a blind eye in Libya.

Libya’s UN ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi also demanded that the Security Council to act against the “unprecedented crimes” committed by IS in Sirte.

So far there has been no comment from any foreign government or international organisation about the situation.

As for the response of the authorities in Tripoli, the president of the continuing General National Congress, Nuri Abu Sahmain, has asked the military prosecutor to investigate the withdrawal from Sirte of Misrata’s Brigade 166 and other units in May.

Despite an announcement to that effect, Misratan forces have not arrived to relieve the town.

In Tobruk, Sirte member of the House of Representatives Abu Bakr Al-Ghazali called on all the people of Sirte to unite and “eradicate the Kharijites and the corrupt on earth”. (The Grandi Mufti of Saudi Arabia has labelled IS supporters as Kharijites, an 7th century Islamic heresy.)

IS, Ghazali said, had gone too far in Sirte with its “killings, torture and slaughter of the innocent and the poor who are powerless.” He called on Khalifa Hafter, the commander general of the Libyan armed forces, to back the uprising in Sirte by providing arms and equipment before it was too late.

The Libya air force has carried out raids against IS target in Sirte but to little effect. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredIslamic StateLibyaSirte

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Half-hour air assault on Sirte hits multiple targets: report

Registrations slow for Amazigh election

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.