No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Makhzoum resigns from GNC Dialogue team

byMichel Cousins
August 26, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Makhzoum resigns from GNC Dialogue team

Makhzoum resigns

By Libya Herald reporter.

Makhzoum resigns
Saleh Makhzoum resigns as head of GNC Dialogue team (Photo: GNC)

Tunis, 26 August 2015:

Second deputy General National Congress (GNC) president Saleh Makhzoum has resigned as head of its . . .[restrict]delegation to the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue negotiations. He did so today in what is reported to be a deep disagreement with the GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain over the GNC’s continued participation in the Dialogue.

Officially, no reasons have been given although according to the Justice and Construction Party which supports the Dialogue and of which Makhzoum is a member, there has been a “lack of harmony” between him and the GNC presidency over the management of the Dialogue. The Libya Herald has been told, however, that while Makhzoum wants to follow his party’s line and stick with the Dialogue, Abu Sahmain is supporting hardliners opposed to it.

Abu Sahmain is said to have accepted the resignation.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It is not the first time that Makhzoum has resigned from the team. He quit in February but on that occasion it was not accepted by the GNC.

The next Dialogue session, which is supposed to discuss names for the prime ministership and the two deputy premiers, is due to start in Skhirat in Morocco tomorrow, Thursday. UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon, currently in Europe and due to brief the UN Security Council by video link later today, is expected to arrive in theret along with most of the delegates and the accompanying entourage of officials, advisers, special envoys and diplomats some time during the day tomorrow.

At present, however, the GNC line is that it will not take part. Abu Sahmain wrote to Leon telling him that unless its amendments to the Draft text approved last month are accepted, it will continue its boycott.

However, there are reports that the GNC has asked Leon for an emergency meeting in Algiers, to take place in parallel to the talks in Skhirat. There is, however, no confirmation from UNSMIL officials of this.

In any event, the possibility of the GNC changing its mind and sending it team to Skhirat tomorrow appears remote. Its next session when it will discuss the Dialogue is on Sunday.

The resignation of Makhzoum is seen as indicating a deep split within the GNC over participation in the Dialogue and which now may widen.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaSaleh Makhzoum

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Mahdi Harati court injunction freezes new Municipality of Tripoli Center elections

Mahdi Harati court injunction freezes new Municipality of Tripoli Center elections

Tunisia “hopeful” over return of missing journalists

Tunisia “hopeful” over return of missing journalists

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.