No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Skhirat talks brought to early end by GNC absence; fresh negotiations planned for Geneva next week

byMichel Cousins
August 28, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Skhirat talks brought to early end by GNC absence; fresh negotiations planned for Geneva next week

Dialogie meeting in Skhirat, Morocco (Photo: UINSMIL)

By Libya Herald staff.

Dialogie meeting in Skhirat, Morocco (Photo: UINSMIL)
Dialogue meeting in Skhirat, Morocco (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 28 August 2015:

The latest Libya Dialogue talks in Skhirat Morocco which started only yesterday afternoon ended prematurely . . .[restrict]today because of the absence of the team from the General National Congress (GNC) in Tripoli. Another session is now to take place next week in Geneva.

Between now and then, Bernardino Leon who is chairing the process will try to persuade the GNC to rejoin the negotiations, the Libya Herald has been told by participants.

The GNC participation in the Skhirat session, already in doubt earlier this week because of continuing opposition by GNC members to the Draft agreement approved last month, was dealt a body blow on Wednesday when the head of its negotiating team Saleh Makhzoum resigned. That was followed yesterday by the resignation of a second team member, Mohamed Emazab.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

As a result, even as the other participants headed yesterday to Morocco for the meeting, there was pessimism that there could be any progress.

“The situation is chaotic. The GNC is tearing itself apart,” one senior Western diplomat said yesterday, referring to persistent reports of a deepening divide between its members over participation in the Dialogue.

Others disagreed. “It’s a delaying tactic,” suggested one independent Dialogue delegate. “They won’t accept the Draft but they don’t want be sanctioned for not taking part.”

Leon, however, has continued to take his ever-optimistic view of events, stating at today’s press conference that the delegates were “working in good spirits”, that they envisaged “finalizing our work in the coming two weeks” and that the “commitment that I explained when we opened our discussions in Geneva is still there.”

Despite acknowledging the existence of difficulties, he put these down purely to changes in the composition of the GNC team. It was being restructured, he said, adding that “their message is that they will continue to participate in the talks next week”.

In an apparent gesture to it over its opposition to Khalifa Hafter’s continued involvement in affairs, at the press conference Leon told a reporter who had asked if the head of the Libyan armed forces had a role in the future Libyan government that personalities in it would be based on consensus.

He also said that Hafter’s idea of Libya being run by a military council was “absolutely unacceptable” to the international community.

Meanwhile he insisted there had been progress in Skhirat, both on the mechanism for discussing names for the prime minister, which would be on next week’s agenda, and on two of the annexes, nos. 2 and 4, on priorities of the Government of National Accord and financial stability guidelines. These had had been discussed and largely agreed. “We have now two texts which are practically final,” he said. All that was needed was some input on them from the GNC.

“They were the easy ones”, one of the participants in Skhirat told this newspaper, however.

Leon also said that discussions would be started before the delegates left Skhirat on two of the other two annexes, the State Council and amendments to the Constitutional Declaration. These, he suggested, would be finalised next week at Geneva.

Leon further confirmed that the date for an outcome to the dialogue had again been put back, to 20 September, with the government of national unity up and running as of 20 October.

In the past months, there have been several deadlines set for an agreement: the end of May, mid June before the beginning of Ramadan, and most recently the end of August.

The date of 20 September would mean that the Dialogue agreement could be announced at the UN General Assembly which would be taking place at the time. The 20 October deadline for the new government and a change to the Constitutional Declaration would get round the problem of the House of Representative’s mandate expiring on 21 October. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònfeaturedLibyaSkhiratUN dialogue

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
A new Libyan plane flies in as an old one flies out

A new Libyan plane flies in as an old one flies out

Pro Libya Dawn-GNC coalition Al-Naba TV celebrates second anniversary

Pro Libya Dawn-GNC coalition Al-Naba TV celebrates second anniversary

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.