No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dialogue delegates gather in Skhirat to name new prime minister; a “moment of truth” says Leon

byMichel Cousins
September 11, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Dialogue delegates gather in Skhirat to name new prime minister; a “moment of truth” says Leon

Bernardino Leon in Skhirat

By Libya Herald staff.

Bernardino Leon in Skhirat
Bernardino Leon in Skhirat

Tunis/Tripoli, 10 September 2015:

Delegates to the Libya Dialogue have again gathered in the Moroccan resort of Skhirat for . . .[restrict]what UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon has said should be the final round. It is expected to produce a new prime minister and two deputy prime ministers. Describing it as a “moment of truth”, he said that a deadline of 20 September would not be extended.

A selection of 12 names for the posts of prime minister and one of the deputies have already been sent to him by the House of Representatives (HoR). Suggestions for the other deputy premier are believed to have been brought by the team from the General National Congress (GNC) which flew from Tripoli this evening.

With yet more news of killings and the growth of the Islamic State, a deal had to be made, Leon said. All Libyans, as well as the international community, wanted one he stressed. It was hoped that there would be final agreement on the annexes by the end of tomorrow, Friday, he added, and consideration of names for the premiership would start on Saturday.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In a bout of rival sabre rattling, both the HoR and GNC had previously issued threats of pulling out if a number of supposedly key demands were not met. Those of GNC (which, significantly, accepted that the HoR would be Libya’s parliament, ignoring all earlier insistence that the Supreme Court’s supposed ruling abolishing it had to be respected) were largely about increased powers for the State Council. However, there was also a demand, which Leon is certain to ignore, that all the Council’s 120 members come from the GNC (not 90 as in the Draft), that the GNC must decide who they should be (not the Dialogue negotiators), and that all current GNC members would be eligible (not those elected in July 2012, as stated in the Draft).

Responding to the demands, HoR president Ageela Saleh then sent a letter with five of his own to Leon, equally threatening to pull out if they were not met. They basically said that the prime minister and one of the deputy premiers had to come from the 12 names sent by the HoR; that only it (not the GNC) could approve the new Government of National Accord; not a word of the Draft Agreement could be changed; it alone agree to the annexes to the Draft before the GNA is announced; and no changes to laws, decisions and appointments already announced by the HoR.

Leon and most of the Dialogue members are likewise almost certain to ignore the last demand.

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònfeaturedLibyaSkhiratUN dialogue

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Misrata port being used in money laundering scam

Coast road closure forces Haj pilgrims to fly earlier than planned

Coast road closure forces Haj pilgrims to fly earlier than planned

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.