No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli plans assault in Wershefana area following helicopter deaths

byMichel Cousins
October 28, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli/Tunis, 28 October 2015:

The Tripoli government intends to launch a military assault in the Wershefana district in response . . .[restrict]to Monday’s helicopter crash west of Tripoli killing all those on board which included top ranking Libya Dawn military officials.

Its chief of general staff, Major General Abdussalam Obeidi has declared the area a military zone, advised civilians to leave it, and has called for “revolutionaries” to mobilise and join the fight.

The helicopter was shot down near Maya, west of Janzour. It was on its way to Zawia and was carrying the body of Nureddin Kilani, the brother of the late Zawia military leader Mohamed Kilani back for burial. He is said to have been shot in earlier action against the Wershfana, and taken to Tripoli for treatment but died there. Another report, however, says he died in hospital in Turkey.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The body was being accompanied by senior Libya Dawn figures, including the head of Zawia Martyrs’ Brigade, Suhaib Shaba, and the the GNC’s western region commander Colonel Hussain Budaya. Also said to have died in the crash was the son of Mohamed Kilani, himself killed last year in fighting with the Wershefana.

Zawia municipality and the General National Congress have both declared three days mourning.

Wershefani fighters have been accused of shooting the helicopter down and in Benghazi, Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman Mohamed Hejazi appeared to confirm this, stating that pro-government forces had been responsible. There are also reports that the helicopter wreckage showed signs of having been shot at.

However, the LNA Tripoli operations room, based in Zintan, has denied any involvement. The Wershefana Supreme Council has also denounced the downing of the helicopter. Claiming that the attack was done to incite hatred between the Wershefana and Zawia, it called for an immediate investigation to find those responsible.

Last year, devastating fighting in the Wershefana area, spearheaded mainly by Zawian forces left hundreds of Wershefanis dead and a legacy of bitter hatred there towards the people of Zawia.

Mindful that any repetition of such violence could further undermine the shaky Libya Dialogue process, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) today appealed to all parties to “exercise maximum restraint and refrain from any action that would further escalate tension”. Calling for an investigation into the cause of the crash, it appealed to local leaders and anyone else with influence to do their utmost to calm the situation. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaWershefana

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Clashes in Garyunis injure assassination target Mahdi Al-Barghathi and kill Islamist commander

New school curriculum book angers Amazigh

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.