No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC revolt against Abu Sahmain grows

byMichel Cousins
May 3, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli/Tunis, 8 November 2015:

Several members of the General National Congress (GNC) are reported to have been physically prevented from entering . . .[restrict]the GNC’s hall today by supporters of GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain. He is said to have ordered the action because of fears that in addition to a vote in favour of the proposed Government of National Unity (GNA), they would sack him as GNC president because of his moves to frustrate the vote.

Abu Sahmain allegedly used supporters, headed by boycotting HoR member Abdurraouf Manaie, as well as political activist Mohamed Busaifi, to keep the doors of the conference hall closed and suspect members of Congress out.

A small demonstration also took place this morning outside the GNC headquarters, allegedly approved by Abu Sahmain, at which protestors tried to intimidate those in favour of his removal.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

“Abu Sahmain used some gangsters to prevent members from holding a meeting because the majority in the GNC now is with the proposed government,” a GNC member said this evening, asking not to be identified.

“Abu Sahmain has been doing this for some time because he knows that a majority of the members support the new government”, he added.

Today’s action came after a record 71 GNC members were reported to have had demanded the military and security powers given by Congress to the president last year be revoked.

Up to 80 GNC members are said to have lined up behind Nizar Kawan, leader of the Justice and Congress party in the GNC, and Misratan politician Abdurrahman Sewehli, to remove Abu Sahmain.

However, at present, they appear unlikely to succeed because he is able use his presidential powers to decide when GNC members should meet.

Last week, a more opaque document, seemingly signed by 50 GNC members, appeared on social media demanding that Abu Sahmain and Congress take a clear stand on the Dialogue agreement and the GNA. Its authenticity cannot be guaranteed.

A similar document also circulating on social media and apparently signed by 87 members of the House of Representative, endorsing the Government of National Accord and the Libya Dialogue agreement, is meanwhile likewise  being dismissed by opponents in the HoR because, they allege, it contains fake signatures.

If the 50 GNC signatures are correct, it represents a major move forward. Just over a fortnight ago, only 25 members of the GNC could be gather to state agreeing to the Dialogue accord, and the GNA. However, only one of them, Abu Qassem Igzeit from Misrata, put his name to it. The 24 others said they dared not, fearing reprisals from hardliners. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Media Centre to be built in Benghazi

Two Serbian envoys seized near Sabratha but ambassador escapes: report

Two Serbian envoys seized near Sabratha but ambassador escapes: report

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.