No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dabbashi accuses UK and US for Leon leak

byMichel Cousins
November 11, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Ibrahim Dabbashi
Ibrahim Dabbashi

Tripoli, 10 November 2015:

Libya’s UN ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi has accused the British and American intelligence services of hacking . . .[restrict]the emails of outgoing UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon and then leaking them to the British newspaper, the Guardian.

Last week, it published a report that Leon was negotiating his new job as head of the UAE’s diplomatic academy while trying to mediate a settlement in which the Emiratis supported one side in the divide. Part of the allegations against Leon were based on an email last December from him to the UAE’s foreign minister Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan.

“The Guardian newspaper is very close to British intelligence,” Dabbashi said on social media, “and Leon’s emails could only have been leaked by the British external intelligence service, MI6.”

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

The aim, he claimed, was not to embarrass Leon but send a message to his successor, Martin Kobler, to ensure he carried out their wishes. These, he said, had been rejected by Leon because “he was committed to the position of the Security Council and the United Nations that the House of Representatives is the sole legitimate authority in Libya”.

Accusing the British and American of colluding with Libya Dawn in its attack on the oil terminals in Sidra and Ras Lanuf last December, he claimed that London and Washington wanted “to continue the chaos that grants the opportunity to their citizens of Libyan origin to govern Libya or the mini-states that would result from the division of Libya”.

The “citizens of Libya origin” is seen in particular as a reference to Abdurrahman Sewehli.

Dabbashi also accused the two countries of not being serious about the fight against terrorism.

Leon, on the other hand, had “understood the complexities of the Libyan situation, and was committed to UN rules”. He had “bravely opposed” their plans to bypass “legitimate institutions” andto  include “militants including some extremists” in the new government.

He also dragged Leon’s predecessor as UN Special Envoy to Libya, Tarek Mitri, into his attack, noting that he had been a board member of the Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies in Qatar while working in Libya. Why, he asked in his defence of Leon, had the Guardian not mentioned this.

The attack has provoked an angry response from Mitri on Twitter, pointing out that he had disclosed his membership of the board prior to his appointment as special envoy and that it had been cleared by the UN. In one tweet, he said that the UN’s credibility was now “at stake”.

While Dabbashi sees MI6 and the CIA as responsible for leaking the email to the Guardian, others inside and outside Libya take the view that Qatar was responsible. [/restrict]

Tags: Ibrahim DabbashiLibyaUN

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Car bomb in Khoms kills three guards

Kidnaps in Tripoli continue with journalist among latest victims

Kidnaps in Tripoli continue with journalist among latest victims

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.