No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Pentagon confirms US fighters targeted IS leader in Libya attack

byNigel Ash
November 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Pentagon confirms US fighters targeted IS leader in Libya attack

IS leader Abu Nabil (Photo: Pentagon)

By Libya Herald reporters.

IS leader Abu Nabil (Photo: Pentagon)
IS leader Abu Nabil Al-Anbari (Photo: Pentagon)

Tripoli, 14 November 2015:

Just 24 hours after Secretary of State John Kerry promised that Washington was giving  . . .[restrict]new focus to Libya, US warplanes attacked Sirte, targeting Abu Nabil Al-Anbari, described by some as the IS leader in Libya and formerly a long-standing member of Al-Qaeda.

The Pentagon has just confirmed the overnight raid. Press secretary Peter Cook said the air strikes had been aimed at Nabil, an Iraqi national whose original name was Wisam Al-Zubaydi.

Cook said that Nabil (known more commonly as simply Al-Anbari) may have provided the voice-over for the February video showing the beheading of 21 Coptic Christians on a beach near Sirte.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

Cook continued: “Nabil’s death will degrade ISIL’s ability to meet the group’s objectives in Libya, including recruiting new ISIL members, establishing bases in Libya, and planning external attacks on the United States”.

He pointed out that last night’s sortie had not been the first strike against terrorists in Libya but it was the first to target an ISIL leader in the country and “demonstrates we will go after ISIL leaders wherever they operate”.

This June, US warplanes hit a farm outside Ajdabiya, targetting Mokhtar Belmokhtar in a raid which terrorist sources later claimed failed to kill the terrorist leader.

A Pentagon official this evening told the Washington Post that it was “reasonably sure” that Nabil had been killed.

There has so far been no reaction from IS to last night’s raid which is believed to have been carried out by at least one F-15 jet.

This is not however the first report of Nabil’s death. In July he was reported to have been captured and hanged by the Derna Shoura Council.

Cook pointed out that the Sirte airstrike had been authorised and begun before last night’s terrorist massacre in Paris.

The Pentagon’s belief that Nabil may have provided the commentary to the grim video of the mass murder of the Egyptian Copts would seem to underline the importance of voice recognition technology. This was also used to identify “Jihadi John”,  Mohammed Emwazi, a Kuwaiti-born British militant who is believed to have been killed by a drone-fired  US missile in Syria on Thursday. [/restrict]

Tags: Abu NabilfeaturedLibyaPentagonSirteUS air strike

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
CBL denies responsibility for import corruption

CBL denies responsibility for import corruption

US heart surgeons back in Libya treating kids

US heart surgeons back in Libya treating kids

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.