No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dangers for Libyan journalists highlighted at UNESCO workshop in Tunis

byMichel Cousins
November 18, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Dangers for Libyan journalists highlighted at UNESCO workshop in Tunis

Participants at UNESCO's in Tunis (Photo: UNSMIL)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Participants at UNESCO's in Tunis (Photo: UNSMIL)
Participants at UNESCO’s workshop in Tunis (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 17 November 2015:

Journalists and human rights activists from Libya attending a UNESCO workshop in Tunis organised to . . .[restrict]mark the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists

earlier this month, have called on the organisation and other international bodies to help ensure that those involved in crimes against journalists and others working in the media are brought to account.

Yesterday’s workshop, organised by the UNESCO Tripoli Office and the Regional Bureau of Reporters Sans Frontières, took place against the background of growing concern about the safety of journalists in Libya. There have been a series of arrests and disappearances. Moutaz Khraif who was seized last week just behind the Surpeme Court, was finally freed after protests in the city. In August, Reda Fahail Al-Boum was freed only when UNSMIL intervened after he had been seized at Mitiga airport.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

There is still no news of photographer Mohamed Al-Naili who disappeared at the end of last month or of the two Tunisian journalists kidnapped in eastern Libya in September last year or the five-member Cyrenaica TV crew seized the previous month.

Many Libyan journalists have been forced to leave the country for their safety.

At the workshop, participants pointed out that those still in Libya were being silenced at the very time the provision of accurate and impartial information was badly needed. Those responsible for this were able to get away with it because there was no protection from the law; those threatening journalists and activists knew they could act with impunity.

“We all are aware that collecting and transmitting information is very important in times of crises. If allowed to work professionally, journalists can make a vital contribution to enhance the peace and reconciliation process in Libya”, said Austria’s ambassador to Libya, Ronald Sturm. “However, we are increasingly faced with a culture of impunity that endangers professional journalism.”

Malik Stitah, a journalist from Derna, said that UNESCO and other international partners had to “do their utmost to ensure the impunity issue in Libya remains in the spotlight as an urgent issue to be addressed by all responsible parties”.

UNESCO Representative to Libya Michael Croft agreed. Impunity was becoming ingrained in Libya, he said, insisting that Libya’s international partners had to react and make clear to the powers there that this was unacceptable. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
New UNSMIL chief says Peace Accord hard work cannot be wasted

New UNSMIL chief says Peace Accord hard work cannot be wasted

Tripoli tense following Misratan abductions

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.