By Libya Herald reporter.
Tunis, 20 November 2015:
New UN envoy to Libya, Martin Kobler, has flown to Libya for three day of . . .[restrict]talks to try and rebuild trust in the stalled UN-brokered Libya Dialogue process and hear views from the various parties to the divide.
In a statement on Tuesday, the day he formally took over the job from Bernardino Leon, he said that he would be meeting the various members of the Dialogue and the proposed presidency council as well as other Libyan key players to discuss what he called a “small number of outstanding issues”.
The “outstanding issues” are said to be the names announced by Leon for the posts of prime minister, deputy prime minister and senior government ministers who together constitute the proposed presidency council, as well as the actual number of its members. A significant section of the House of Representatives, mainly from the east of the country, have said that they will not accept some of the names and that the presidency council must consist of five members as originally suggested, not the nine in Leon’s final proposal.
In his Tuesday statement, Kobler also indicated that the other focus of his talks would be security, widely seen as the prime cause of Libya’s troubles but having been inadequately addressed so far.
On the main text of the Dialogue, Kobler is reported to be opposed to any changes. [/restrict]