No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

French court releases Libyan plane from Kuwaiti Kharafi group grasp

bySami Zaptia
December 1, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Airbus 340 at Orly Airport two years ago (with acknowledgement to Michel Carron http://michel-charron.pagesperso-orange.fr)
The Airbus 340 at Orly Airport two years ago (with acknowledgement to Michel Carron http://michel-charron.pagesperso-orange.fr)

Tunis, 01 December 2015:

A French court has lifted the freeze put on Qaddafi’s former plane after the Kuwaiti . . .[restrict]construction group Al-Kharafi attempted to sell it to recover a billion dollars it was awarded by a Cairo arbitration court.

“It is very satisfying to see the judge has recognised the fact this plane, which belongs to the Libyan state, has immunity from being seized,” Carole Sportes, lawyer for the Libyan side told AFP.

The Al-Kharafi Group was attempting to seize Qaddafi’s A340 Airbus which he bought from Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal for €120 million in 2003. Damaged during the revolution, it was sent to France for repairs and has been there ever since awaiting payment of its repair bill estimated in the millions.

RELATED POSTS

70 percent of Libya still unexplored: NOC chairman Bengdara

Libyan participation in Egypt International Dates Exhibition 2024

French lawyers acting for Libya had claimed sovereign immunity in the case.

An arbitration panel in Cairo had ordered Libya in March 2013 to pay nearly a billion dollars to the Kuwaiti company for the loss of 90 years’ potential income from a cancelled Tripoli tourism project.

The Kharafi Group had been given the damages in arbitration proceedings organised by the Arab League as part of the Unified Agreement for the Investment of Arab Capital in Arab States.

Since 1992, the Arab Convention on Commercial Arbitration has worked under the aegis of the League.

The Kuwaiti group, owned by one of the richest merchant families in the Gulf, has a $4-billion annual turnover. It had agreed in 2006 to develop a $130-million Holiday Inn-branded resort in the Tajoura area of Tripoli, to be completed in 2011.

Besides a 252-room hotel, it would have included 100 villas, a shopping mall, a convention centre, spa and 1.4 km of beach with a club and water sport facilities. When Kharafi established its subsidiary Sovereign Hospitality Holdings in 2008, the project was transferred to it.

Until the uprising, when the deal was apparently cancelled, the Kuwaitis said that they had invested in feasibility studies, design and management contracts. These have been estimated at around US$ 5 million. However, the major part of their claim was for the loss of projected profit which they put at LD 1.2 billion, plus interest.

Arbitration award against Libya to Kuwaiti Kharafi Group
1 US$ 30 million Compensation for ‘‘moral damages’’
2 US$ 5 million Representing the value of losses and expenses.
3 US$ 900 million Compensation for lost profits resulting from real and certain lost opportunities.
4 US$ 1.94 million Arbitration costs and expenses.
5 4% interest rate Shall apply to all amounts awarded from date of issuance of decision until full settlement
Total: 936, 940 million

 

It is thought that this may be the first such ruling on loss of future income by the Arab Convention on Commercial Arbitration, which was in part designed to protect Arab investors in other Arab League countries. [/restrict]

Tags: AirbusAl KharafiCairofeaturedFranceKuwait

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
HoR and GNC presidents Salah and Abusahmain to meet?

HoR and GNC presidents Salah and Abusahmain to meet?

HoR member grabbed in Tripoli

HoR member grabbed in Tripoli

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.