No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN envoy Kobler rebuffed by GNC in Tripoli; visits Tawerghan camp

byMichel Cousins
January 2, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
UN envoy Kobler rebuffed by GNC in Tripoli; visits Tawerghan camp

By Saber Ayyub and Ajnadin Mustafa. 

IMG_2662
Martin Kober does a little New Year shopping in Libya (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 1 January 2015:

An attempt by UN envoy to Libya Martin Kobler to convince the Tripoli-based General . . .[restrict]National Congress (GNC) to support the Libya Political Agreement (LPA) agreed in last month in Skhirat and the Government of National Accord (GNA) and led by prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj ended in failure today in talks in the Libyan capital with GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain. At a press conference afterwards, the deputy GNC president, Awad Abdul Saddeq insisted that there would be no acceptance of the Skhirat deal. Kobler’s own plans to speak to the media meanwhile were prevented by the regime’s foreign media boss, Jamal Zubia, who said the UN envoy did not have his permission to speak to the press.

Kobler did, however, visit a Tawerghan refugee camp in the city and afterwards managed to speak briefly to the press during which he insisted that the LPA was the only deal on the table. It had full international support, he said, could not be changed and had to be accepted.

He also rejected the rival “Libya-Libya” dialogue championed by Abu Sahmain, saying it had to stop.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

Kobler, who had secured the support of House of Representative president Ageela Saleh for the LPA at a meeting in Beida yesterday, flew to Tripoli accompanied by his Libya security operations adviser General Paolo Serra to tell the GNC that it could still join the process. In addition to Abu Sahmain, he also met with a number of the regime’s leading figures including Khalifa Ghwell, the head of Tripoli administration, and Mustafa Nouh, the head of intellegnce.

Rejecting the LPA, Abu Sahmain instead urged Kobler to accept the “Libya-Libya” dialogue initiated by Congress. The GNC president was also reported to have expressed his total opposition to UN negotiations between Serra and military officials to try and ensure security in Tripoli for the Serraj government.

Kobler was then supposed to speak in a press conference about the talks but this was derailed by an outburst from Tripoli’s foreign media spokesman Jamal Zubia who claimed that he had not given Kobler approval to do so and threatened to cancel the accreditation of all journalists attending the meeting as a result.

At a result of the proceedings, the deputy GNC president Awad Abdul Saddeq gave a solo press conference at which he stated that the position of the GNC towards the Skhirat deal had not changed and could not change because it had not been part of the final negotiations.

Those from the GNC who had signed the deal, he said, had not officially represented the body. Saleh Makhzoum, the second deputy GNC president who had signed, would be investigated with the intention of sacking him, he added, claiming that he had not attended the GNC for over 20 sessions.

He too condemned about the arrangements to secure Tripoli being discussed by General Serra.

Kobler meanwhile visited the Tawerghan refugee camp in Tripoli’s Falah district, meeting a number of families as well as members of Tawergha local council all of whom were evicted from the town in 2011. He was briefed by the council as well as elders and women activists about the dire conditions in the camp. In response he pledged that the UN would do its utmost to improve their conditions and ensure they and other displaced people in Libya could return home by the end of 2016.

Before flying off, Kobler managed to speak at a hastily reorganised but short press conference at which he insisted that the prime purpose of his visit had been to convence the GNC to get aboard the UN-approved political process as quickly as possible. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneral National CongressLibyaMartin KoblerNuri Abu SahmainUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Kobler insulted and forced to leave Tripoli promptly

Kobler insulted and forced to leave Tripoli promptly

Serraj holds GNA meeting in Tunis

Serraj holds GNA meeting in Tunis

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.