No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Beida council orders government to get out

byNigel Ash
October 22, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Beida council orders government to get out

By Saber Ayub and Ayman Amzein.

Beida's mayor Ali Hussein Mohamed (Photo: Libya Herald)
Beida’s mayor Ali Hussein Mohamed (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tripoli and Benghazi, 18 January 2016:

In the face of daily power cuts lasting up to 14 . . .[restrict]hours, an angry Beida municipal council is trying to throw Thinni government ministries out of the overcrowded town and has given them 24 hours to quit.

The extraordinary move emerged with a document posted on the town’s social media page this afternoon, later backed up in a broadcast on Al-Jebel radio by councillor Abdullah Amtul Bunas and this evening by a TV appearance from mayor Ali Hussein Mohamed.

The focus of local anger was Abdullah Thinni’s second deputy premier, Abdulsalam Al-Badri, who is responsible for electricity. There are unconfirmed reports that angry crowds searched hotels looking for Badri whom local journalist Naseradeen Elqutany told the Libya Herald had left the town.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“Badri promised that more generating power would be brought to Beida to solve the electricity crisis, but the project has been delayed repeatedly” said Elqutany. There had also been allegations of corruption.

It appears that the recent storms and severe cold snap finally proved too much for Beida’s citizens. Their town has been used as the seat of the Thinni government since 2014 shortly after the then-new House of Representatives was obliged to relocate to Tobruk after Libya Dawn seized Tripoli.

Beida has also hosted the Constitutional Drafting Assembly which has been working out of the old parliament building in the town.

As a result, and also as a result of the fact that the it is seen as peaceful and safe, Beida has seen a massive influx of Libyans over the past two years.  Mayor Mohamed told this newspaper last month that has soared as a result from some 350,000 to around half a million.

The demand on local infrastructure has been extreme. Hotels and offices have been taken over by ministers and officials. The price of rented property has rocketed but some landlords are complaining that they are no longer being paid. So great has been the demand on telecommunications that Beida is reputed to have by far the slowest internet links in the country and mobile phone connections are poor.

One 38 year-old businessman told this newspaper: “It has been dreadful. There is no power, no money, no flour for bread and no gas”. He said that he understood the popular anger.

By this evening there had been no response from the government. It is hard to imagine how eleven ministries plus the prime minister and his three deputies and all their attendant officials could pack up and move by tomorrow night. Nor is it clear to where they might go. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah MotolAli Al-BarhisiBeida mayorfeaturedgovernmentLibyaThinni

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
National Unity government announced

National Unity government announced

UNSMIL gives strong welcome to new government

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.