No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Gatrani alerts Maltese government to the illegality of fuel smuggling from Libya to Malta

bySami Zaptia
July 21, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The Maltese-managed tanker Sun Oil detained for suspicion of fuel smuggling in Libyan waters last year(Photo:MarineTraffic.com)
The Maltese-managed tanker Sun Oil detained for suspicion of fuel smuggling in Libyan waters last year (Photo:MarineTraffic.com)

London, 21 July 2016:

Ali Gatrani, acting in his role as the head of the House of Representatives’ (HoR) Economy Committee rather than as the eastern representative and member of the Presidency Council, has confirmed to the Maltese authorities the illegality of fuel and gasoline exports from Libya to Malta through companies licenced for ”oil services”.

In a HoR headed letter signed by Ali Gatrani dated 17th July and addressed to the Maltese Ambassador, Gatrani clarifies and states that Libyan registered companies whose scope is servicing the oil industry in Libya do not extend to export of oil products from Libya .

These commercial trading licences are legally issued and called ”oil services’’ companies, but are limited to contracting services to the Libyan based oil industry and do not permit the trading and selling of products and Libyan crude or clean products.

RELATED POSTS

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

He says that companies selling clean or crude out of libya are illigally smuggling Libyan fuel and crude. This is illegal under Libyan law and in accordance with UN resolutions. The smuggling negatively affects the Libyan economy and the income from this is used by smugglers to trade in illicit goods such as the drugs and alcohol trade which affects Libya’s security. The illicit gains can also finance terrorism.

The HoR member highlights the fact that trade in fuel and its byproducts in Libya is subsidized and its trading out of libya is limited by Libyan law exclusively to the National Oil Corporation (NOC).

He calls upon the Maltese authorities not to accept any Libyan documentation presented by smugglers suggesting that their smuggling transactions are a legal trade: As they are not and any such claim is a misrepresentation.

This latest letter from Gatrani seems to have been issued as a result of the misuse of an earlier letter issued by Gatrani dated 23rd November 2015 earlier supports the activities of a Libyan ‘‘oil services’’ company which seems to have been misused to justify the illegal smuggling of fuel to Malta.

Gatrani is confirming the fact that only the NOC has the right to trade in fuel and that Libyan oil services companies can provide a host of other services permitted by law – but excluding the trade in fuel. Subsidized fuel is intended for domestic Libyan consumers and not for export outside of Libya.

It will be recalled that during his June 2014 visit to Malta, the then internationally recognized Libyan Prime Minister Abdullah Thinni called upon the Maltese government to take action against those involved in smuggling fuel from Libya to Malta.

He said that the smuggling was on the increase and had become “a threat to the Libyan state” which could impact not only on national security but on the close ties between the two countries. He had accused smugglers of taking advantage of Libya’s security crisis.

Malta’s Foreign Ministry had responded by saying that senior Maltese security personnel had met to investigate Thinni’s allegations and take action. Adding that Malta would cooperate with Libya to fight smuggling in all its forms. Information from Libya would result in “immediate action” by the Maltese, Maltese Foreign Minister Vella had said.

In 2013, in two separate incidents, two Maltese men, Matthew Piscopo and Kevin McManus were arrested in Libya on suspicion of smuggling thousands of litres of Libyan diesel to Malta.

In January 2015 the five crew of a Maltese-managed coastal tanker were detained on suspicion of fuel smuggling in Tripoli.

The men were arrested when their Moldovan-flagged vessel , the 5- metre tanker, the Sun Oil was towed to Tripoli by an unnamed Italian freighter which had reportedly found the tanker drifting without power in Libyan waters. The vessel was reportedly loaded with petrol.

The smuggling of highly-subsidised Libyan fuel to neighbouring states, including Malta, has long been a major source of income to some militias and criminal gangs, contributing to extremism, terrorism, instability and insecurity.

 

Tags: Ali Gatrani HoR member and head of Economic committeeAli Gatrani Presidency Council member for east and HoR memberfeaturedfuel smugglingMaltaNOC National Oil Corporationoil

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Op-Ed: Fear, uncertainty, risk and Libya’s currency black market

Op-Ed: Fear, uncertainty, risk and Libya's currency black market

Libya’s Draft Constitution – Overview

Libya’s Draft Constitution - Overview

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.