No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The Tunisian border barrier with Libya

byMichel Cousins
December 17, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
The Tunisian border barrier with Libya

The Tunisian border barrier (Photo: Libya Herald)

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Tunisian border barrier (Photo: Libya Herald)
The Tunisian border barrier (Photo: Libya Herald)

Ras Jedir, 7 February 2016 :

Tunisia has completed the first stage of a barrier along its border with Libya. . . .[restrict]It stretches 196 kilometres from the main border crossing Ras Jedir on the coast to Dehiba, the southern border crossing, and is two kilometres away from the official border, inside Tunisian territory.

The second part of the barrier is currently under construction. The Tunisian authorities told the Libya Herald that, when complete, it would total approximately 500 kilometres in length.

For the moment, the “fence” comprises of a trench, in most cases filled with water, and a sand embankment. Behind this system of obstacles, the two-kilometre zone to the border is a no man’s land. “We have the right to shoot anyone in this zone,” explained a soldier.

RELATED POSTS

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

REAoL delegation participates in MeetMED Week 2024 in Tunisia

A second phase of the project will include electronic equipment.

“It still lacks an electronic monitoring mechanism, which will be set up with our German and American friends,” said Tunisian Defence Minister Farhat Horchani during a tour of the barrier on Saturday. He talked of “thermal cameras and controls” to be installed in the coming months.

Tunisia had to fight terrorism in an active and efficient way and could do so, he said, but added that “the fight must be not only security and military. We must present a cultural solution”. At the root of terrorism, he said, “there is a lack of education, of religious culture.” He stressed that a spread of action had to be taken “to stop young people leaving for Syria”.

Tunisian officials estimate that more than 5,500 Tunisians have joined armed groups, including the so-called Islamic State. According to them, there are around 1,500 in Libya.

The minister claimed that the barrier has already “proven its efficiency”. On several occasions, he said, “we stopped and arrested people who were trying to smuggle weapons”.

However, some of those who joined the press trip organised by the Tunisian defence ministry questioned the effectiveness of the barrier. A camerman was able to cross the water-filled trench easily by walking on some stones. Climbing the sand dune, a journalist brought down a part of it. Nothing is holding the sand. A storm could destroy what is in effect a dune.

The governement announced the construction of the barrier after the Sousse attack last June. The Tunisians authorities claimed that the terrorists in that attack and in the earlier Bardo killings in March 2015 had been trained in Sabratha, in Libya.

The municipality of Sabratha has always denied the presence of a training camp in its city, although there are presistent and widely believed reports to the contrary. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTunisia

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Fresh shelling in Benghazi

More boycotters join the HoR in Tobruk ahead of anticipated vote on Serraj government

More boycotters join the HoR in Tobruk ahead of anticipated vote on Serraj government

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.