No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council stalemated over defence ministry appointment granted more time by HoR to name government

byMichel Cousins
February 10, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Negotiations are still on-going within Presidency Council in Skhirat as the HoR sets it a deadline to present its GNA.
Negotiations are still on-going within Presidency Council in Skhirat as the HoR sets it Sunday as the  deadline to present its GNA.

Tripoli, 10 February 2016:

Facing stalemate over the choice of defence minister the Presidency Council meeting in Skhirat has been . . .[restrict]given until next Sunday to name its government. The extension, which had been requested by the Council, was agreed at a session of the House of Representatives (HoR) yesterday in Tobruk.

The selection of a defence minister caused a bitter divide among some members of the Council, largely between Ali Gatrani, an ally of Khalifa Hafter, on the one side and, on the other, Misrtan businessman Ahmed Maetig, Mohamed Ammari, and Abdussalam Kajman.

It has resulted in frayed tempers which at one point became physical with Gatrani, Maetig and some others at Skhirat involved in a brawl which was photographed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Three names for the defence post were proposed: Mohamed Hassan Al-Barghathi, a former ambassador to Jordan; Abdulbasset Al-Badri, Libyan ambassador to Saudi Arabia and Jordan, and backed by Qatrani; and Hassan Abdullah Elabbar, a former police commander.

Intense pressure is said to have been put on Maetig, Ammari, an Islamist seen as linked to the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, and on Kajman, who is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, to accept Bargathi and at one point it was said that they had conceded.

However, the choice is not yet been fully agreed and there are reports that the Council is once more thinking the unthinkable – that no defence minister be appointed.

Such an outcome is seen as unlikely, however, as it would almost certainly leads to calls in the HoR for the entire Council to be sacked on the grounds that it had proved its inability to do its job.

Already the delays in appointing a government plus the altercation between Maetig and Gatrani, the photo of which was posted on social media, have prompted some HoR members to look for alternatives. A group of parliamentarians are expected to meet with Hafter today to discuss their options. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulbasset Al-BadriAbdussalam KajmanAhmed MaetigfeaturedGNALibyaMohamed AmmariMohamed Hassan Al-Barghathi

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
CBL reduces annual hard currency transfer limit for individuals

CBL reduces annual hard currency transfer limit for individuals

Wheat imports delay could lead to bread flour shortage in east

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.