No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Bukhamada denies French involvement in Benghazi fight as massive clean-up starts

byMichel Cousins
February 28, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Bukhamada denies French involvement in Benghazi fight as massive clean-up starts

Wanis Bukhamada Commander of Saiqa Special Forces (Archive photo: Abdullah Doma).

By Ayman Amzein.

Wanis Bukhamada Commander of Saiqa Special Forces (Archive photo: Abdullah Doma).
Wanis Bukhamada Commander of Saiqa Special Forces (Archive photo: Abdullah Doma).

Benghazi, 25 February 2016:

The commander of Saia special forces in Benghazi, Colonel Wanis Bukhamada, has denied telling the media . . .[restrict]that there were French military advisers in the city collaborating with the Libyan National Army (LNA). He said he had not spoken to the media yesterday and that people who could not accept that the army was defeating the militants were deliberately inventing stories to try and explain its success.

Those fighting the Islamic State (IS) and its allies were all Libyans, he insisted, according to the Beida office of the Libyan news agency LANA.

The House of Representatives yesterday issued its own rebuttal of the rumours of French involvement.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Bukhamada was reported in an article by Reuters yesterday saying that French military advisers were in Benghazi and had been involved in coordinating the fight against IS.

The fight continued today, largely in Garyounis. It was meanwhile announced that the camp in neighbouring Ganfouda, used by Libya Shield No. 1 brigade, was now in the hands of the LNA.

Libya Shield No. 1 is part of the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shoura Council currently dominated by Ansar Al-Sharia. It is supposed to be led by Islamist militant Wissam Ben Humaid, but he left Benghazi some time ago for Misrata. He was allegedly seen recently in Wadi Rabie, south of Tripoli, although there have been other reports that he went back to Benghazi and then tried to flee.

Despite the continuing clashes today, the city is already looking to getting back to normal.

Roads are being reopened and streets cleaned by the local public services company. For his part, Benghazi municipal council’s Awad Alqawiri said plans were being drawn up to remove all the detritus of war in areas that have been affected by the fighting. These would be put into effect once they were fully secured. Rubble and debris from destroyed buildings would be removed as would burnt-out vehicles, earth and sand mounds used to block roads and the tons of garbage littering the streets. There were also plans to clear the city of the rodents that had flourished as a result of the conflict.

There was up to a week’s work to be done in Leithi, the Libyan news agency LANA quoted him saying. Sabri would take much longer, he added, possibly a month.

Returning residents were already celebrating in Leithi today. “There is much less damage than we expected,” one of them told the Libya Herald today. “Just between 15 and 20 percent.”

Elsewhere in Benghazi people were out on the streets celebrating what they see as the end to the city’s ordeals. Many went to Sabri despite reports that there was still fighting in one street. However, the area was quiet this afternoon, thanks possibly to the large army, police and security forces presence in the area.

A group of House of Representatives members were also in the city today, in Buatni and other areas where the fighting took place, to meet soldiers from battalions including Saiqa and acquaint themselves with the latest details of the situation. Benghazi member Ramadan Shambesh Khalifa Al-Dagari from nearby Qasr Libya and Nasreddin Muftah from Shihat also thanked the soldiers for what they had done, according to LANA.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeatuerdLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Europeans and Americans welcome HoR members’ support for Serraj government

Europeans and Americans welcome HoR members’ support for Serraj government

Confessions of arrested IS members

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.