No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Over 1000 migrants rescued off coast in four days says Libyan navy

byMichel Cousins
March 20, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 20 March 2016:

Some 1,130 illegal migrants who set sail from Libya and whose boats got into difficulties . . .[restrict]were rescued between Wednesday and Saturday, according to the Libya navy.

The largest group, comprising 586 migrants, mostly sub-Saharan Africans but also some Bangladeshis, was rescued yesterday morning, according to navy spokesman Ayyub Gassem. Among them, he said were 11 children and 60 women, some of them pregnant, with three of them miscarrying during the rescue. The bodies of four other women who drowned were also recovered, he added, while others – the figure is put at around 30 – were still missing.

The migrants who had set off in four boats had to be rescued some two kilometres offshore from Sabratha, Gassem explained, adding that during the rescue operation one of the migrants’ boats sank.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The navy, he said, had been called in by the Zawia Coast Guard, unable to cope

The rescue followed four others in a row. On Wednesday, 129 migrants were also rescued off Sabratha. Again in the same area the following morning, a further 187, sailing in two boats, had to be rescued. One of the boats caught fire. According to the navy spokesman, 43 people were burned, 17 of whom are in critical condition.

Later on Thursday, 123 were rescued, also off Sabratha. On Friday a further 117 were rescued.

Separately, more than more than 900 migrants were plucked from the sea between Tunisia and Sicily in four rescues operations yesterday.

With winter at an end and calmer weather in the Mediterranean, the number of migrant crossings is again expected to soar. EU foreign policy head Federica Mogherini has said that as many as 450,000 people are currently in Libya waiting the chance to make the crossing.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSabratha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Airline strike suspended after employers promise to pay outstanding salaries

CDA members look to heal breach with Tebu and Tuareg communities

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.