No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Crumbling resistance as army advances in Benghazi

byNigel Ash
April 20, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Crumbling resistance as army advances in Benghazi

A beaming Hafter gives a thumbs-up in Benghazi tonight (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A beaming Hafter gives a thumbs-up in Benghazi tonight (Photo: social media)

Benghazi and Tripoli, 19 April 2016:

The army is closing in on the last key enemy position at the . . .[restrict]small dock at Ganfouda into which it is reported Islamists militants have crowded, some of them with their wives and children.

This afternoon it was said that a flotilla of small boats was heading to Ganfouda to evacuate the fighters penned in there. The air force is understood to have launched several airstrikes, which may have sunk at least one of the vessels.

The presence of family members with the militants, if true, will complicate the seeming end of a bitter two-year battle. A diplomatic source said tonight that if women and children perished in a final assault, the army’s victory would be tarnished. The diplomat speculated that it might be decided to let the last fighters get away with their families.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The official army blackout on information means that today’s events can only be pieced together from a range of sources, including soldiers in the front line. But there is no doubt that the collapse of resistance by the Islamic State (IS), Ansar Al-Sharia and Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council force has continued.

Presumably in anticipation of the victory, which he has promised so many times before,  armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter is reported to have arrived in Benghazi this evening. In photographs posted on social media, the  normally dour general was beaming and giving a thumbs-up sign for photographers.

Heavy fighting resumed this morning with the army pushing into Gwarsha from Huwari. By late this afternoon, a local commander was claiming that nearly all of the district had been taken.  It was also said that some Libyan militants have been surrendering while figures for their casualties vary with the highest death toll being 42.

BSRC commander Fawzi Al-Rabea reported killed today (Photo: social media)
BSRC commander Fawzi Al-Rabea reported killed today (Photo: social media)

One claimed death is that of BSRC commander Fawzi Al-Rabea, (above) who was suspected of involvement in the 2013 Benghazi assassination wave of serving and retired police and army officers, which finally triggered Hafter’s Operation Dignity. It is not clear where Rabea died.

The fighting has also claimed dead and wounded on the army side. Again figures vary but as many as 30 soldiers may have perished in the last 48 hours, including the military engineers’ spokesman Siraj Al-Tira who was killed by a booby trap on the outskirts of Garayounis.

Photojournalist Ayub Al-Joli killed in today's fighting (Photo: social media)
Photojournalist Ayub Al-Joli killed in today’s fighting (Photo: social media)

Libya Alakhbar photojournalist Ayub Al-Joli (above) also died today in Gwarsha in circumstances that have not yet been explained. There are also reports that IS fighters in Gwarsha captured two medical workers from the Benghazi Medical Centre who were working at the front. Once again it is unclear how this happened but it suggests that IS fighters are still capable of mounting counterattacks. The fate of the two men is not known. [/restrict]

Tags: AnsarBRSCfeaturedGanfoudaGarayounisGeneral Khalifa HafterGwarshaISLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

PC/GNA and CBL agree five urgent measures for economic crisis

Book Review: Under the Copper Covers by Sherine Ben Halim Jafar

Book Review: Under the Copper Covers by Sherine Ben Halim Jafar

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.