No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Foreign currency fraud could lead to collapse of Libyan economy

bySami Zaptia
April 23, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The Tripoli-based Audit Bureau suspends four NCB employees for corruption.
The Tripoli-based Audit Bureau says that financial fraud could lead to the collapse of the Libyan economy.

London, 23 April 2016:

The Tripoli-based Audit Bureau warned of the ‘‘dangerous infringements’’ in the banking system revealing a growth . . .[restrict]in the phenomenon of the misuse of Letters of Credit (LCs) and imports for the purpose of money laundering and foreign currency fraud.

The warning came in state the institution watchdog’s 565 page 2015 Annual Report released last week.

These infringements have contributed to the depletion of the Central Bank of Libya’s  (CBL) foreign currency reserves without any beneficial return to the state which could lead to a collapse of the Libyan state.

RELATED POSTS

New CBL Tripoli HQ construction project inaugurated – 11 years after it was announced

Municipality Guard and Central Bank of Libya discuss implementation of commercial and financial activities’ laws and regulations

This will also cause prices and inflation to rise and increase the spread of corruption and reduce the development of the banking system.

The Audit Bureau said bank and customs employees have often been found to be complicit in not checking or questioning documentation and prices of imported goods on pro forma invoices and suspect documentation.

 

Port Containers
Tripoli 118
Misrata 139
Khoms 51
Total: 298

 

Empty containers discovered up to 31/12/2015 – Source Audit Bureau 2015 Annual Report

 

The Audit Bureau also criticized ports and customs employees for failing to inspect and discover empty containers at ports prior to LCs being released.

It also criticized the CBL and local banks for failing to put in place procedures and systems that would make it more difficult for fraudsters to use the opening of LCs and the importation process for fraudulently obtaining hard currency.

It will be noted that the CBL had introduced new procedures in an effort to counter this. The CBL also complained as it came in for public criticism over the recent years, that it was a financial and monetary institution and not a crime prevention or investigative or combating institution. It pointed out that it has kittle enforcement powers or capabilities.

The Audit Bureau highlighted in its report some companies it had referred to the Public Prosecutor’s Office, including the well-publicized case in 2015 of the substandard rice containers case. The company (Al Hadaiq) had in return for a deposit of LD 5.6 million obtained LCs for a total equivalent of LD 37.5 million.

The Audit Bureau made a number of recommendations to counter LC fraud. However, many were already introduced by the CBL and were seen as prohibitive to doing business and contributing to the shortage of goods in Libya that is contributing to price rises.

Equally, many of the Audit Bureau’s recommendations presume or would require a unified Libyan political system and a strong centralized Libyan state and institutions. [/restrict]

Tags: CBL Central Bank of LibyacontainersfeaturedfraudLCs letters of credit

Related Posts

High-level Libyan government delegation arrives in Guinea to regain ownership of illegally confiscated investment assets
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

August 29, 2025
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

August 28, 2025
Libya and Shell discuss several areas of cooperation
Business

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

August 28, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Business

Aldabaiba-British Ambassador discussions include resumption of British Airways Libya flights and creating attractive Libyan investment environment for foreign companies

August 28, 2025
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

August 27, 2025
The International Forum & Exhibition for Free Zones – Misrata: 28 to 29 June at Misrata Free Zone
Business

Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

August 27, 2025
Next Post

HoR-majority statement welcomed by Europe and US

Leading Benghazi volleyball supporter freed in Tripoli: report

Leading Benghazi volleyball supporter freed in Tripoli: report

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.