No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Controversial oil-deal tanker stopped outside Maltese waters: report

byMichel Cousins
April 26, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Controversial oil-deal tanker stopped outside Maltese waters: report

The

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Distya Ameya, previously the Kassos (Photo: thanks to MarineTraffic.com, A. Mackinnon)

Tunis, 26 April 2016:

Maltese officials report that the oil tanker Distya Ameya which yesterday was loaded with 650,000 barrels . . .[restrict]of oil at the Hariga terminal in Tobruk has not tried to enter Maltese territorial waters. They say they are monitoring the situation and are in contact with other international authorities.

There were earlier reports that the Indian-registered tanker had been prevented from sailing to Malta by the Maltese authorities. It was reported to have left Tobruk yesterday, heading for Malta.

The export of the oil from the Sarir and Messla fields has sparked a major row between the parallel national oil corporations based in Tripoli and Beida. It was sold by the latter on behalf of the Thinni government to UAE-based DSA Consultancy FZC but the sale has been condemned as illegal by the Tripoli NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s oil production continues to creep upwards

Universal Air starts direct flights between Malta and Tripoli

Sanalla, who two days ago said that the export of the oil had successfully been prevented, has now formally informed the Presidency Council of the sale, asking it to use its international connections to stop the tanker. The Presidency itself had already called for international help to prevent the transport of illegal sales of oil.

A senior Maltese official told the Libya Herald that there had been no communication with the vessel, which appears to have turned off its tracking equipment. He also questioned whether the oil was in fact headed to Malta, where no refinery exists. If it were, he stated, it would have to leave again.

He also questioned whether the money paid for the oil would go to the Thinni government, as reports suggest. The UN, he stressed, had made it clear that revenue from oil sales had to be paid to the Central Bank of Libya. “This is not another Morning Glory case,” he said, referring the failed attempt by Ibrahim Jardhran in March 2014 to sell oil. “The money is not going to fall into the wrong hands. It will have to be paid into the central bank in Tripoli.”

He also claimed that the issue was more about a personal clash between Sanalla and the Beida NOC chief Naji Elmagrebi, both of whom were hoping to be confirmed as head of the corporation by prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj.

Separately, the Libyan ambassador to the UN, Ibrahim Dabbashi, has called on the UN sanctions committee to blacklist the Distya Ameya.

Dabbashi now supports the Presidency Council, having broken with the Thinni government in December. The latter then announced it was sacking him because of a complaint from Elmagrebi who alleged he was blocking an oil sale organised by the eastern NOC.

It is not known at present if it was the same oil sale or another.

The UN, which on 23 December endorsed the Skhirat agreement and recognised the Presidency Council as the legitimate authority in Libya rather than the Thinni government, ignored the latter’s decision. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMaltaNational Oil Corporation

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
IS Sirte heartland facing three-pronged LNA and Misratan attack

IS Sirte heartland facing three-pronged LNA and Misratan attack

Fight against IS has to be done by Libyans alone, says Italian special envoy

Fight against IS has to be done by Libyans alone, says Italian special envoy

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.