No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter refuses Kobler request for a meeting

bySami Zaptia
May 8, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Hafter refuses Kobler request for a meeting

LNA official spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mesmari revealed that Hafter had refused a meeting request by UNSMIL head Kobler (Source: Twitter).

By Sami Zaptia.

General Hafter has refused a . . .[restrict]meeting request by UNSMIL head Martin Kobler. they has last met in Marj in December 2015 (Photo: Archives).
General Hafter has refused a meeting request by UNSMIL head Martin Kobler. They had last met in Marj in December 2015 (Photo: Archives).

London, 8 May 2016:

Khalifa Hafter, the House of Representatives’ (HoR) Libyan National Army (LNA) General Commander has refused a meeting request by UNSMIL head Martin Kobler.

The claim was made by LNA Official Spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mesmari on his official twitter and Facebook account yesterday. The tweet simply said ”LNA General command rejects a meeting request by @KoblerSRSG’’. By adding Martin Kobler’s twitter handle, the message was meant to reach Kobler.

The tweet and Facebook post did not mention when exactly the request was made.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba hits back at opportunist ‘‘warmonger’’ HoR Speaker Saleh

Solution to Libya’s economic crisis is not through dinar devaluation but through economic reforms: 55 HoR members

Responding today to a Libya Herald, request for a comment, UNSMIL’s Public Information Officer, Jean Alam said that ‘’the United Nations is and will continue to engage everyone in the search for peace in Libya’’.

‘‘We will knock on every door and we will meet with anyone we believe can help end the conflict and bring stability to Libya’’. The ”only people and organizations we will not talk to, are the groups designated as terrorist by the United Nations’’.

Responding to comments that such a meeting would have been seen as a waste of time, the UNSMIL Spokesperson said that ‘’the only time wasted is when we don’t discuss peace. (UNSMIL’s) hand is always stretched to reach out to all sincere Libyans who want an end to the suffering of their people’’.

”(UNSMIL) will stop at nothing to seek and achieve what all Libyans want – peace and unity for the country’’, the statement concluded.

 

LNA official spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mesmari revealed that Hafter had refused a meeting request by UNSMIL head Kobler (Source: Twitter).
LNA official spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mesmari revealed that Hafter had refused a meeting request by UNSMIL head Kobler (Source: Twitter).

 

It will be recalled that Hafter had last met with Kobler (together with Paolo Serra) in Hafter’s eastern HQ in Marj on 16th December last year.

Kobler had described that meeting as a ‘’fruitful’’ one. The meeting had come on the eve of the signing of the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) the next day in Skhirat, Morocco between the warring Libyan factions.

At that meeting, it was believed that Kobler had convinced Hafter to support the LPA in return for support of a Libyan National Army, fighting terrorism and supplying arms to the LNA after the approval of and a request by the GNA.

However, it seems that relations between the two have cooled as the Presidential Council and a large number of members in the HoR seem to be determined to avoid appointing Hafter as the General Commander of the unified GNA-led LNA.

This is reflected in the refusal of HoR president Ageela Salah to convene the HoR for a meeting to approve the GNA prior to dropping article 8 of the LPA. Article 8 stipulates that upon the approval of the GNA by the HoR all main sovereign positions, including Hafter’s position, all revert to the PC/GNA.

The minority supporters of Hafter, but crucially including Ageela Salah, within the HoR are determined to install Hafter as head of the LNA to counter balance what they see as the dominance of Misrata or what they refer to as the ‘’Islamists’’ or the Tripoli militias in Tripoli.

The emergence of Abdulrahman Swehli as head of a proactive High State Council has not helped. The HoR say that the State Council is not supposed to usurp the legislative role of the HoR in the LPA.

UNSMIL head Kobler, for his part, reflecting the international community, is keen to install the GNA as soon as possible. To this end UNSMIL and the international community seem to be pushing on with the GNA on the ground in Tripoli and not waiting for the reluctant HoR.

Moreover, the PC has appointed its own ”unified leadership” for a united Libyan army that would include western and eastern forces to fight IS in Sirte – excluding Hafter. Hafter fears that in the war to liberate Sirte from IS, he could be side-lined or even made politically redundant. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneral Khalifa HafterHoR House of RepresentativesLNA Libyan National ArmyLNA spokesmann colonel Ahmed MesmariUN SGSR UNSMIL head Martin Kobler

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
HoR Deputy Presidents and delegation visit Presidency Council in Tripoli with new initiative

HoR Deputy Presidents and delegation visit Presidency Council in Tripoli with new initiative

Arms embargo means Libya cannot fight terrorists says Serraj

Arms embargo means Libya cannot fight terrorists says Serraj

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.