No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council sets up second anti-IS operations room as Misratans and PFG move closer to Sirte

byMichel Cousins
June 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Presidency Council sets up second anti-IS operations room as Misratans and PFG move closer to Sirte

Ahmed Maetig hold a working lunch at his Tobacts Hotel in Tripoli with Salah Jadhran (Photo: Social media)

Ahmed Maetig hold a working lunch at his Tobacts Hotel in Tripoli with . . .[restrict]Salah Jadhran (Photo: Social media)
Ahmed Maetig at a working lunch at his Tobacts Hotel in Tripoli with Salem Jadhran (Photo: Social media)
By Ajnadin Mustafa and Aimen Amzein.

Tripoli/Benghazi, 1 June 2016:

The Presidency Council headed by Faiez Serraj has set up a second operations room to fight the so-called Islamic state (IS). It will be responsible for action between Sirte and Ajdabiya. The new operations room is headed by Colonel Yousef Rajeb Ageela and has six other commanders in it.

Action west of Sirte is covered by the the Bunyan Marsous operations room set up by the Presidency Council four weeks ago.

The latest announcement, made yesterday, came as troops of the Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) commanded by Ibrahim Jedhran, claimed to have captured both Ben Jawad and Nufliya from IS.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

It also came as Serraj and Ahmed Maetig, one of the five Presidnecy Council deputy leaders, conferred in Tripoli with the mayor of Ajdabiya, Salem Jadhran, Ibrahim Jadhran’s brother.

Officially the separate meetings were about financial and other support for public services in Ajdabiya. However, it has been reported that Salem was also acting on behalf of his brother to ensure military support for the PFG push against IS.

In its announcement, the Presidency said not only that all military forces in the Sirte-Ajdabiya area would be under the control of the operations room, it also prohibited any other military or paramilitary forces from combat operations in the area.

This is seen as a deliberate move against the Libya National Army (LNA) led by Khalifa Hafter which has moved to take control of some of the oilfields in the region.

Despite claiming last month that it would attack Sirte, the LNA has not done so. In Benghazi, it is now being claimed that the it is holding back and has decided to let the PFG and the largely Misratan Bunyan Marsous forces west of Sirte bear the brunt of the fighting. The suggestion is that it will move in once they have defeated IS.

For its part, following the capture of Ben Jawad and Nufliya, the PFG is now heading towards Harawa, some 70 kilometres east of Sirte and seized by IS exactly a year ago.

The capture of Harawa would effectively hem in IS from the east and west of Sirte, although not from the south.

To the west, the Bunyan Marsous operations room says that it is now firmly in control of all the Khaleej power station, 20 kilometres west of Sirte, following heavy fighting there during the day. There was also fighting further south. According to the operations room, three of its soldiers were killed and ten wounded. It also reported eight air strikes on IS forces. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaPetroleum Facility GuardsSirte

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Presidency Council reappoints ICC representative

Hafter in Jordan again for Arab Revolt centenary

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.