No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratans lose jet during heavy Sirte fighting

byNigel Ash
June 3, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Misratans lose jet during heavy Sirte fighting

By Libya Herald reporters.

May truck bonmbing
The aftermath of an IS truck bomb last month (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 2 June 2016:

A Mig from Misrata crashed today. IS terrorists in Sirte claimed they had shot it . . .[restrict]down. Misrata said the aircraft had suffered mechanical failure and that the pilot had bailed out safely.

Claim and counterclaim have charactised the recent fighting. IS also insisted that the same warplane had, in error, earlier bombed Misratan positions to the west of Sirte.  The Misratans said five missions had been flown against IS but it was not clear if they were all by the same aircraft.

What is clear is that today has seen stiff fighting with the thrust of the Misratan attack shifting from the west to the south of the town with an advance towards Gardabya airport and military airbase. IS denied reports that they had abandoned the position.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

There were reports that the Misratans had been shelling the centre of Sirte for the first time. It However, it also appears that an IS counterattack retook lost ground near the Gulf Power station from which the terrorists were driven out on Sunday.  This assault began with another of the devastating truck bombs (SVBIED – Suicide vehicle-borne Improvised Explosive Device). IS posted a picture of the driver, naming him as Abu Musab Al-Kini from Kenya.

The terrorists claimed that 12 armoured vehicles were destroyed and 48 killed, which if true would have made this suicide attack worse than the May 18 truck bomb which killed 32 fighters. Misrata insisted that today’s SVBIED killed just two soldiers and injured a dozen.

Yesterday the Misratans said they had destroyed another truck bomb before it could reach reach its target. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredISLibyaMig lostMisrataSirte

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Over 100 migrant bodies washed up on Zuwara beaches

Over 100 migrant bodies washed up on Zuwara beaches

Gatrani orders Saddik Elkaber to stop acting as head of central bank

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.