No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian charity to supply humanitarian and medical aid to Fezzan

byMichel Cousins
June 19, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian charity to supply humanitarian and medical aid to Fezzan

italian foreign min usury undersecretary Vincenzo

By Moutaz Mathi.

Italian foreign ministry undersecretary Vincenzo Amendola (left, being handed copy of the agreement) meets with Fezzan representatives (Photo: Italian Foreign Ministry)
Italian foreign ministry undersecretary Vincenzo Amendola (left, being handed copy of the agreement) meets with Fezzan representatives (Photo: Italian Foreign Ministry)

Tripoli, 19 June 2016:

Backed by the Italian government, the Rome-based Sant’Egidio community is to send urgent medical and humanitarian aids to a number of towns in southern Libya. This was agreed at a meeting yesterday in Rome that included a number of politicians, tribal elders and social activists from Fezzan.

“The aid will be provided with the cooperation and supervision of the Presidency Council,” Hussein Al-Ansari, former member of General National Congress for Obari, told the Libya Herald. “Today’s meeting and agreement is an outcome of several previous meetings held with some Presidency Council members and the community,” he added.

He was referring to the community’s mediation in talks late last year between the Tebu and Tuareg communities which finally brought about a degree of peace between the two.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

Sebha and neighbouring towns were in dire need of medicines, Ansari said, and it has been agreed to provide safe passage for them. The initial focus, he added, would be on areas most in need of aid.

As elsewhere in Libya, the south has suffered from shortages in all fields including long electricity cuts. The past three days have seen almost continuous blackouts in the south, in part resulting from transmission lines in the Brak Al-Shatti area being brought down.

The difference, however, is that the region’s problems have not made headlines. International attention has been focussed almost entirely on the privations in Tripoli and Benghazi.

As a result several activists have called for main city in Fezzan, Sebha, to be designated as a disaster area.

“The city suffers from long power cuts which sometimes lasting 48 hours, plus shortages of drinking water,” Mohamed Abdul Motaleb, from Sebha Central Hospital, told this paper. “The hospital, along with patients and equipment, cannot bear such a situation and we’re afraid that there will be a humanitarian disaster as a result,” he said.

“The agreement signed in Rome is yet another step towards the stabilisation of Libya,” said Italian Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, Vincenzo Amendola, who met the Fezzan delegation along with representatives of the Sant’Egidio community at the foreign ministry.

The agreement, facilitated by the community, was another sign of Italy’s commitment to peace in Libya and to the Government of National Accord led by Faiez Serraj, he stressed.

As a result, emergency aid as well as children’s vaccination kits would be sent to hospitals in all Fezzan districts. He added that as part of the agreement, representatives of the ICRC, the Italian foreign ministry’s international cooperation office and various NGOs would be present in Fezzan to verify distribution.

The Italian government would continue to monitor the situation he stated, pointing out that Italy was already sending food aid and emergency medical supplies to Tripoli, Benghazi and Obari, Amendola said. “The unanimously-signed document leaves us hope that the road taken for the future of Libya is the right one.”

Tags: featuredFezzanItalyLibyaSant'Egidio

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Ghariani gives his blessing to Ajdabiya attack as two PC also indicate support

Ghariani gives his blessing to Ajdabiya attack as two PC also indicate support

New Benghazi militant unit issues Ajdabiya warning

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.