No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU navies get green light to tackle arms smugglers

byNigel Ash
June 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Massive blast destroys "arms smuggling boat" (social media screen grab)
“Arms smuggling boat” destroyed last year off Benghazi (social media screen grab)

Tripoli, 20 June 2016:

EU naval forces have been given the final clearance to intercept arms smugglers off the Libyan coast in an extension of their  year-long Operation Sophia campaign against people-traffickers.

The European Council meeting today in Brussels merely said afterwards that, beside helping training the Libyan coastguard and navy, it would be “contributing to the implementation of the UN arms embargo on the high seas off the coast of Libya”.

The EU has thus not only extended by another year the EUNAFOR MED Operation Sophia but expanded its mandate. Brussels says that EU ships have already  been responsible for the rescue of at least 16,000 migrants.

RELATED POSTS

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Euro Film Festival will be held in Tripoli from 24 to 28 November

There are at least five EU warships already engaged against the people smuggling operation. The EU says that in the last 12 months, it has arrested 71 suspected smugglers and “neutralised”139 vessels.

Those arrested have been transferred to Italy for trial.  They include an Eritrean, alleged to be a key people-trafficker known as “The General”.  The suspect was apprehended in Khartoum last month, extradited to Rome two weeks ago and named as Madhanie Yehdego Mered. However there are claims of mistaken identity. Relatives of a jobless carpenter, Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe, say that he is the man who was seized in a coffee shop in the Sudanese capital.

It is being reported that more EU warships are likely to be sent to offshore Libya. Since the main contributors – Britain, France, Germany and Italy – are also members of NATO, it seems certain that there will be close cooperation against the arms smugglers.

After its decision today, which followed  last week’s approval by the UN Security Council, the European Council explained that interdicting the supply of illegal weapons would produce a more secure and stable Libya. This in turn would help the country disrupt  human trafficking and smuggling networks.

The EU ships now have the power to stop and inspect any suspect vessel but only on the high seas. Brussels made a point of saying that no naval vessels would operate inside Libyan territorial waters, unless authorised by the Government of National Accord.  This is a moot point. EU vessels from the Sophia operation, which is run from Rome by Italian Rear Admiral Credendino, are understood to have frequently been rescuing migrants in craft that were stranded well within Libya waters. No protests have come from Tripoli.

The coastal movement of men and weaponry from Misrata or Sirte to Benghazi has established supply lines that have only rarely been attacked successfully, principally by aircraft from east. The April destruction of two vessels  beside the docks of the Libyan Iron and Steel Company ( LISCO) has never been satisfactorily explained.  They were alleged to have been running weapons and fighters to the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council and to have been sunk by limpet mines.

Tags: arms smugglersEUfeaturedLibyapeople smugglersSophia

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Without a quorum, HoR holds consultative meeting

Benghazi without water following power cuts to Soloug reservoir; Tripoli in fourth day of water shortages

Benghazi without water following power cuts to Soloug reservoir; Tripoli in fourth day of water shortages

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.