No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council promises to submit new cabinet to HoR but says current GNA ministers must continue in caretaker role

byMichel Cousins
August 24, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Mathi.

The GNA's Faiez Serraj admitted in a speech last night that militias control electricity supply in Tripoli (Photo: Social media).
Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj (File photo)

Tripoli, 24 August 2016:

The Presidency Council led by Faiez Serraj has said that it accepts Monday’s vote by the House of Representatives rejecting the current Government of National Accord (GNA) and will draw up a new list of ministers for its approval. However, it also stated that it was in the public interest that the current ministers continue in office in a caretaker role until the new government is voted on. In a conciliatory move, it said it welcomed the move by the HoR, stating that the parliament played a crucial role in implementing the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA).

The HoR voted by 61 to 1 to reject the GNA, demanding that the Presidency Council submit a new list with just eight ministers within ten days.

In today’s response, the Presidency also repeated its call for its two boycotting members, Ali Gatrani and Omar Al-Aswad, to rejoin their colleagues, something HoR President Ageela Saleh also urged them to do on Monday. Two weeks ago, the Presidency gave both men a deadline of one week to rejoin or it would ask the Libya Dialogue members to replace them.

RELATED POSTS

All recently clashing state and militia forces and their military vehicles will return to their barracks as of yesterday evening

Presidency Council decrees unconditional ceasefire, freezes all Aldabaiba Tripoli government’s recent military/security decrees

Backing for the Presidency’s position has come from UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler who had earlier tweeted urging “to work quickly on a GNA cabinet” to submit to the HoR. This, however, was then deleted and replaced by one saying that he fully supported the Presidency’s statement and its decision to work with the HoR and the State Council for urgent implementation of the Libyan Political Agreement.

He also tweeted urging the HoR “to remain within the framework of the LPA and relevant security council resolutions”, that it was “imperative” that Aswad and Gatrani rejoin Presidency Council immediately and work for Libya’s stability, and that the “GNA should continue to perform duty until vote of confidence ist granted by the HoR”.

US Special Envoy Jonathan Winer and British Ambassador Peter Millett also tweeted their support for the Presidency Council.

Tags: featuredHouse of RepresentativesLibyaPresidency Council

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
EU to train Libyan seamen to tackle people-smugglers

EU to train Libyan seamen to tackle people-smugglers

Serraj confers with US military chiefs on operations against IS

Serraj confers with US military chiefs on operations against IS

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.