Another Marj women dies from henna poisoning

By Libya Herald reporter.

Benghazi, 3 October 2016:

Another local woman has died in Marj from henna poisoning. The 38-year-old was rushed to Marj hospital after collapsing following the application of henna but died shortly afterwards. According to the hospital she is the 43rd henna fatality it has had to deal with in the five years since the revolution and the 3rd in the past 12 months.

Another 56 women are reported to have died from henna poisoning elsewhere in eastern Libya over the same period of time.

The poisoning is said to due to the addition of para-phenylenediamine (PPD). It is added by dealers to to make the henna darker. It is, however, highly toxic and can cause respiratory problems, acute renal failure, myocarditis or fatal arrhythmia.

PPD is banned in some countries, such as Canada, but there have been no moves to ban it in Libya.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login