No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Eastern Libyan authorities reject Amnesty International Ganfuda claims, say there is an international

bySami Zaptia
October 12, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Eastern Libyan authorities reject Amnesty International Ganfuda claims, say there is an international

By Maha Ellawati.

325-eastern-fma-workshop-responding-to-hrw-ganfouda-071016
FMA head Arish Saeed (left) and LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari (Photo: FMA)

Benghazi, 7 October 2016:

The eastern Libyan authorities have denied claims made in an Amnesty International (AI) report accusing the Libyan National Army of shelling of civilians trapped in the Ganfouda area of Benghazi.

The denial came in a workshop organised by the eastern-based Foreign Media Authority (FMA) which referred to the contents of the AI report as “fabricated” by an organisation “supposed to be a neutral party in dealing with international issues”.

“The war [against the terrorists] is about to end and the army heroes have achieved major victories on the ground and all the rumours of allegations and accusations are defamation of the Libyan military,” said LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari at the event. He claimed that the allegations of human rights abused were being used for what he called dangerous political purposes. At the very least, those who wrote the report were failing in the task they were charged with, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

Eastern Libya authorities must lift restrictions on journalists: Amnesty International

The LNA was in contact with families and foreign labourers trapped inside Ganfouda and had offered them a safe passage out, he said. The LNA had dropped leaflets by plane and there had been coordination with the Red Crescent society. The LNA was fully prepared to cooperate with human rights organisations in order to get those trapped in Ganfuda out.  The problem, he said, was not with the LNA, but with the extremist groups and their families who refused to leave and who were using the other families as human shields.  The basic problem was that the “extremist terrorist groups reject the safe exit of civilians’’, he stated.

The aim of the workshop was designed to highlight what the LNA said had really been happening during the conflict in the city. There was, according to FMA head Arish Saeed, a need to communicate effectively with the Arabic and international media so as to convey the true facts and events.

“This is huge media project dealing with lists of facts and events and victims of landmines planted by terrorist groups inside residential neighbourhoods in Benghazi that were controlled by terrorist groups before being freed by the Libyan National Army’’.

There was a need, he said, to explain the Libyan issues and to provide factual information so that the world would know all about the terrorist groups that had been operating against civilians for more than two years in the city.

For his part, Khaled Najem, the head of the Culture, Media and Civil Society Organisations Authority, claimed there was an international conspiracy against the Libyan people. It had become clear early on, he said, adding that there were media accomplices and media organisations which he insisted were funded by extremist groups.

“We must admit that we have significant shortcomings in the political and media side. We act on the basis of reaction without keeping up with the actual events,” he said. Nonetheless, he stressed,  there were a number of countries with real ambitions in the Arab region, and especially in Libya.

He did not state who these were, other than saying that after the return of the oil crescent area to the LNA’s control, “many foreign states stated courting us for their interests and objectives”.  But, he added, “we cannot equate those who stood along the Libyan people since the beginning of the war on terrorism and those who arrived belatedly after the victory of the people, its army and leadership in this war”.

Tags: Amnesty InternationalfeaturedGanfoudaLNA Libyan National Armyterrorists

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Thinni government orders private Benghazi schools to slash prices

Thinni government orders private Benghazi schools to slash prices

BRSC statement suggests Benghazi Ansar leader may be dead

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.