No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Trio of Russian sailors released. Moscow wants freedom for three more

byNigel Ash
October 25, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

The Russian owned tanker Temeteron (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)
The Russian-owned tanker Temeteron arrested in June whose crew is still held (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)

Tripoli, 25 October 2016:

Three detained Russian sailors arrested in 2015 have been released 24 hours after the visit by Russian MPs to Presidency Council deputy chairman Ahmed Maetig. However the foreign ministry in Moscow is now calling for the release of three more Russians held after the arrest in June of another tanker.

The trio of sailors from the Mekhanik Chebotarev were accused of fuel smuggling when their tanker was seized off Zuwara in September 2015 returned to Russia yesterday. A specially-chartered aircraft took them from Mitiga to the Chechnyan capital Grozny. Adam Delimkhanov one of the MPs who saw Maetig had made at least two other visits to Tripoli in the last year. A cousin of Chechen ruler Ramzan Kadyrov he appears to have spearheaded efforts to release the men.

Between the meeting with Maetig and their flying out yesterday, according to the Russian foreign ministry, they apparently had some sort of trial. It is unclear what the court’s finding was. Sadiq Al-Sour, head of the Public Prosecutor’s office has made no comment.

RELATED POSTS

Amidst the current fuel crisis: Fuel smugglers arrested, their fuel,  fuel trucks seized – and their illegal fuel depots closed

460 fake petrol stations closed – for involvement in creating the petrol crisis and in fuel smuggling

Moscow said that it was grateful to everyone who had helped secure the release of Andrei Krynin, Stanislav Sirotkin and Valery Savitsky.

It said however that three more Russians, captain Vladimir Tekuchev, chief officer Samoilov and senior engineer Pashchenko were still being held after the arrest this June of the oil/chemical tanker Temeteron, again on suspicion of fuel smuggling.

They are being held with an unknown number of other members of the multinational crew. “All possible measures have been taken to secure their release, “ said a foreign ministry statement today, “which is difficult due to the military and political tensions that have persisted in Libya for the past several years and the lack of central control over several regions”.

The ministry repeated its advice that Russians do not visit Libya. It is unclear what has happened to the two arrested tankers.

Tags: Adam Delimkhanovfeaturedfuel smugglingLibyaMaetigMekhanik ChebotarevRamzan KadyrovTemeteron

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Saudi Arabia set to announce Libya reconciliation talks in next few days

Saudi Arabia set to announce Libya reconciliation talks in next few days

Top international lawyers quietly close Tripoli office

Top international lawyers quietly close Tripoli office

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.