No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Row between Serraj and the CBL’s Elkaber deepens as public anger rises

byNigel Ash
October 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Mahti.

The queues at Jumhuriya bank, Bab Ben Ghasheer, snaked all the way out to the street (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
A typical Tripoli bank queue for cash (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 27 October 2016:

Crowds have again been massing outside banks today in the hope of being able to withdraw cash following the arrival of a second delivery yesterday of LD 400-million-worth of new banknotes.

The delivery from a British money printing company was announced today by the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) on its Facebook page.  There was a similar LD 400-million shipment last week.  A third delivery of another LD 200m is expected in the next few days.

Despite last week’s delivery and reports that the banks are letting customers withdraw up to LD1000 a month, residents in the capital complain that the maximum they are being allowed is actuallyLD200, and in many cases nothing at all.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“Where is the money going”? one resident asked this newspaper, suggesting that the CBL was actively trying to stir up resentment against the Presidency Council.

The CBL, though, says that it has been distributing cash to banks “throughout Libya”. It mentions in particular eastern Libya, Sebha, Jufra, Obari, Ghat, Misrata, Jebel Nafusa and the area west of Tripoli.  But not the capital, home to over a third of the country’s population.

After Serraj in a Sunday Alassema TV interview was highly critical of Saddek Elkaber’s management of the bank and its failure to end the liquidity crisis, the CBL governor yesterday came out fighting accusing the chairman of the Presidency Council of ruining the country’s economy by failing to produce effective economic programmes.

He maintained that the PC had not acted on the CBL’s advice. Specifically he said that in January  this year, which was when the PC was still working from Tunis, the CBL working with the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and local financial experts had presented a wide-ranging financial plan that it believed it was able to fund.

In a letter to Serraj which has been leaked, Elkaber said yesterday “You made accusations  without defining specific cases in which you thought that the bank has failed to discharge its obligations”.

Serraj had accused the CBL of not protecting the value of the dinar. Elkaber retorted that he had presented the PC with a plan to halt the currency’s slide but that it could not start selling hard currencies because of the low oil export income.

Moreover, Elkaber said the the CBL gave the PC LD1.5 billion as an emergency budget to be paid in three instalments.

In normal circumstances such a serious confrontation between a central bank governor and a government chief would damage international confidence. With no such confidence to damage, the likely consequence is a further decline in the value of the dinar which today was reported to have hit LD5.25 to the dollar on the black market.

Tags: bank queuesCBLfeaturedLibyaSaddek ElkaberSerraj

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Fears of fresh fighting between Zawia and Wirshefana after slaying of three Zawia men

Benghazi militants admit it was their supply ships sunk in Misrata on Sunday

Benghazi militants admit it was their supply ships sunk in Misrata on Sunday

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.